Motor Wiring Help

Gene

Active User
Registered
I just disassembled an Atlas T42 lathe for redo. It has a Dayton motor with a lid on the wiring section with the instructions for reversal, giving the normal wire numbers 1-5 & 8. My problem is that the wires are not marked and the colors are no help. Is there a way maybe with an Ohm Meter to Id the wires? I have a Drum switch and would have no problem if I could ID the wire numbers. Thanks, Gene

I just disassembled an Atlas T42 lathe for redo. It has a Dayton motor with a lid on the wiring section with the instructions for reversal, giving the normal wire numbers 1-5 & 8. My problem is that the wires are not marked and the colors are no help. Is there a way maybe with an Ohm Meter to Id the wires? I have a Drum switch and would have no problem if I could ID the wire numbers. Thanks, Gene

Look at this thread, Post No. 6. The diagram sounds like your motor, without the thermal protection.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=21574

Also, carefully look down each wire coming from the motor. Sometimes the wire number is written on the wire in the same color ink as the other labeling. Granted, damn hard to see. Good luck.

Mac1, That confuses me even more. On my motor plate for CCW is 435 and 218 for L1 and for CW is 438 and 215 for L2.

Whoops!!!

I think maybe you are confusing the hi/lo voltage with the CW/CCW direction information.

Say you want to connect to a 120 volt source. Connect 1, 3, 5, to your incoming L1 black wire, Then connect 2, 4, 8, to your incoming L2 white wire. All there is to it. If she runs the wrong way swap 5 and 8.

Have fun and get that sucker rotating! :thumbzup3:

Low voltage is as I indicated above. Hi voltage is 3,2&4 tied together. 1&5 tied together make up one line of 230vac and 4 makes up the other.

Mac1, That confuses me even more. On my motor plate for CCW is 435 and 218 for L1 and for CW is 438 and 215 for L2.

1. Use ohm meter, identify each winding.
2. Main winding resistance will be the same for each winding.
3. Start winding will be different(Higher,I think) than main winding, If a starting capacitor is present, resistance will start low and increase.
4. Label main winding No. 1 as 1-2
Label main winding No. 2 as 3-4
5. Label start winding pair as 5-8
6. Connect 1-3-5 to Line 1
Connect 2-4-8 to Line 2
7. Plug it in to 110 volt AC
8. If rotation is wrong, swap 5-8
9. I think there is a possibility that you may have to reverse main winding connections of one main winding. (windings are out of phase). If the motor hums loudly or won't run, do this. This can also signal that you have a bad capacitor or open starting switch. If you plug the motor in and it hums and doesn't rotate, then spin the shaft by hand. If it starts and runs, you have either a bad capacitor or starting switch.
The above is what I would do, I think it is mostly right.

I finally dug deep enough into the wiring box to ID the wires. So much for that problem. Everyone keeps telling me to wire differently than what the lid on the wiring box tells me. It shows hi and low voltage hookups and I have indicated that and to switch 5 & 8 to change direction. I agree that your way is suggested in a lot of diagrams I have seen but there has to be a reason for the way it is shown here.

I finally dug deep enough into the wiring box to ID the wires. So much for that problem. Everyone keeps telling me to wire differently than what the lid on the wiring box tells me. It shows hi and low voltage hookups and I have indicated that and to switch 5 & 8 to change direction. I agree that your way is suggested in a lot of diagrams I have seen but there has to be a reason for the way it is shown here.

If you have identified the wires, then by all means use the motor nameplate scheme.

What size wire should I use between motor and Drum Switch? 115 VAC @ 6.4 Amps, no overload protection.

Back