Mounting a bench lathe

Here's another idea if you want a stand alone machine with a chip pan. This one has 3" square tube legs with a 3/4 x 6DSCF8034.JPGDSCF8035.JPG" pad on each end for mounting the legs. The chip pan slides out for cleaning. There's a tie bar between the front legs and another between the rear. They also hold the shelf.

Very nice shops posted , mine looks nothing like those but I sure wish it did , anyway , slid the lathe off the edge of the bench to see if I missed threaded mounting holes underneath but non there . In the Smithy manual that is similar they mention using the carrying handles to hold it down , I did notice underneath was machined the whole length not just pads at either end , though not sure how flat it is , would it be wise when I do mount it to have it supported on the complete bottom ? Maybe start by raising the ends with steel enough to see how the relationship the bed is to the bench top and shim it between ? Hope the weather warms up and we have a few dry days I want to clean and paint the steel before bring it into the shop

I would flip the lathe over and drill/tap for leveling bolts at the front and rear edges of the bed on each end, and also drill and tap a center hole on each end to lock the lathe down once you have it leveled with your leveling bolts.

What was Smithy thinking? Oh wait, they weren't thinking.

I slid the lathe off the edge of the old bench to see if there were any flat areas to drill but doesn't see like it at least at the tailstock . I guess I could make some kind clamp at the lift handles Pictured with them pushed in and pulled out

Attachments

• 20190429_203958.jpg
    20190429_203958.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190429_203618.jpg
    20190429_203618.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190429_203626.jpg
    20190429_203626.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 19
Is it moving around when you are running it? You might not need to hold it down at all, it's unlikely that you'll gain more accuracy by bolting it down. if you need to hold it down you could drill and tap the ends and use some angle steel.

John

Ubolts!

So do those lift handles come off? I figure you can run a bolt through them into the upright of some angle iron, then bolt the angle iron to the bench. Sure, it's not as secure as bolting the base directly, but it should improve things for very low time/money investment.

You should get a look at the underside of the bed. my shoptask 3 in 1 has threaded holes for hold down bolts or studs

Looking at that arrangement, I think I would make four aluminum blocks with a horizontal hole to pass a bolt that locks the block to the side of the bed and a vertical hole to lock the block to the bench.

Is it moving around when you are running it? You might not need to hold it down at all, it's unlikely that you'll gain more accuracy by bolting it down. if you need to hold it down you could drill and tap the ends and use some angle steel.

John

I wonder what would happen if he happened to turn a big piece that was odd shaped and caused an imbalance. Do you think that would set up enough vibration so the lathe could move? I dunno', John, I think I would solidly mount the lathe ...

And besides, if it does move around even a little bit then his ways may move too - Taper City, no?

Having a block with a hole the size of the lifting handles should work ! , Since I don't have the new bench finished I'll make one out of wood to see how it will fits and any changes before making ones for the new bench . One of the reasons that I want to mount this correctly is even though this is just a bench lathe the bed was designed as a milling table ( might not have every been good at milling I don't know ) but I purchased an angle plate , making a collet set-up for the headstock so I can do light milling/drill , Here's my intro , I wish I could remember more from those days lol

Back