Mounting L00 Adapter Plate To Chuck

Joe, congrats on getting the adapter plate. Just a couple of things I thought of when you finally get around to doing the machining on the plate:

1) When cutting cast iron, don't use any kind of cutting oil or cutting fluid. It will turn the shavings into some kind of ugly paste.
2) Try to cover up the ways when cutting. Cast iron turns into nasty, abrasive dust when cut, not nice little shavings like steel or aluminum
3) Your could probably use a transfer punch to mark the holes now that you have the chuck split appart. just test fit the back half on the adapter and mark the holes.

Hope things are going well.

Thanks Henry, did not hear from you in a while, thought you might be gone for a while.
Good tips on machining cast iron. I have drilled cast iron but not machined it yet.

Joe

I turned the l00 adapter tonight and it fits snug, first time I turned cast iron, what a mess, I tried wrapping rags around the headstock and the saddle, but the swarf went everywhere.
I had the shop vac running after every cut to clean up the mess. When I was done I wiped everything down with WD-40.

I ordered the 8mm counterbore and when it comes in, in a few days I will drill and counterbore the bolt holes in the adapter.

Thanks to everyone for their support.

Henry (hvontres) has an extra set of soft jaws he is going to sell me, and is going to mill the angles for me.

When I get these I will bore the steps in the jaws.

Thanks

Joe

Another question, I was told by Jim to oil the chuck before I re-assemble it. Just wondering, since the chuck is somewhat sealed, if it would be better to use lithium grease instead of oil. I understand why oil is used instead of grease, so the chips do not collect and tear up the moving parts. Just wondering since the the chuck is somewhat sealed, if grease would be better.

Thanks

Joe

Another question, I was told by Jim to oil the chuck before I re-assemble it. Just wondering, since the chuck is somewhat sealed, if it would be better to use lithium grease instead of oil. I understand why oil is used instead of grease, so the chips do not collect and tear up the moving parts. Just wondering since the the chuck is somewhat sealed, if grease would be better.

Thanks

Joe

You understand why I recommend oil, so I'll let others weigh in:)

Received the counterbore, drilled and counterbored the adapter. Reassembled the chuck, using oil, thanks Jim, :),
Mounted the chuck and ran a run out test. Right on the money, .0000 run out.

Thanks everyone for all of the help. This was my first major job on the lathe.

Joe

Congratulations on a job well done! :encourage: :cheer:

Back