MQL cutting fluids (no oils)

The point of my post was to ventilate whenever you generate mists, vapors, or fumes. Open a door, crack a window, run a fan, don't hang out in smoke filled rooms if you don't have to.

Diacetyl is one compound that is readily formed from the aerosol phase thermal breakdown of diols, like propylene glycol, which is ingredient #1 in all vape juice. The conditions that create it and how much is created is the black box, and is highly variable. Machining with coolants are equally variable. Again, what the manufacturer sells is chemicals in a bottle, and if they are FDA approved, they are safe as sold. What the end user does is his business. I recommend the end user run a fan or open a door.

Outside of California, a packaged steak is not carcinogenic. A blackened steak is likely to have some randomly generated alpha-benzpyrene on it from blackening. Alpha-benzpyrene has been known to cause testicular cancer since the days of coal burning in London, because it was prevalent in chimneysweeps. I'm sure the key is moderation. I enjoy a burger now and again, just not three meals a day for life.

Are you using it in a mister, or as a flood coolant?
Small bellows type bottles they sell.

I have one with the coolant and the other black stuff is believe it or not WD40. Very old WD that would no longer come out of the can. I like these as I can put just enough where I want it and not have a big mess to clean up.

1702678783525.png

Some of the more expensive cutting oils that one can buy actually are designed to have a low temperature vapor point so that the heat is taken up quickly by the latent heat capacity of the material changing from a liquid to a vapor.
I dope my cutting fluids with alcohol for this purpose. This can cause its own issues, but the risks are small IMO vs having a toxic waste site in your house from other available chemicals that will duplicate this.

They say not to eat the blackened fat on a steak that has been grilled!! But... it seems that the steak tastes a lot better when grilled than if it were just heated up in a microwave and no flame!

I wont eat a steak that is not crispy and black other than prime rib. Something some day will kill me, but I'm going to enjoy what I like while I'm here.

Chemist do their work in a venting hood for a good reason. These are designed so that no air flows out the front opening towards the user.

So I see no easy "small scale" solution. Nevertheless, I am still contemplating putting in a 4" hanging flexible vent pipe and running it to the hole in the basement window! It is probably better than NOTHING.

Dave L.

I use my radon system for ventilation. This is constantly pulling fresh air into the 12X24' room and vacating whatever smoke I make. I glued a fitting onto the outside of the PVC pipe with a big 2" ball valve for this and plumb it out from there with 4" ducting.

I can light a match and quickly blow it out ,and have the wife come in a few minutes later and ask if she smells anything. That is if she doesn't think I'm trying to trick her with a fart, but those go away pretty quick too.

I use "light cutting oil" (that what is says on the container; I get it at the adult school machine shop I occasionally substitute at) and a fan to blow away the smoke. If I can smell it, I adjust the fan. I live in SoCal, so the winters are mild enough that I can open the garage and blow the smoke outside.

Oh! So, your "light cutting oil" smell is drifting to Pgh from SoCal. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use my radon system for ventilation.
That is a great idea, I have an unused radon exhaust stack in my furnace chimney I could use. I’ll just need to make sure the fan doesn’t have any vibration, my wife sits right above that spot in the family room.

Diacetyl is one compound that is readily formed from the aerosol phase thermal breakdown of diols, like propylene glycol, which is ingredient #1 in all vape juice. The conditions that create it and how much is created is the black box, and is highly variable.
Well, as someone said to me recently in another thread, thanks for making my apparently well-informed point, utterly redundant and demonstrating my utter lack of rigour! :grin:

Seriously though, thank you for this; I'm going to have to do some reading and some sensible risk evaluation.

The on-topic rest of your post was interesting and sensible, as usual. :encourage:

The Unist company selling the healthy, organic, vegetable oil based cutting fluid for MQL applications has an offer for a free sample on their website. They sent me three, sprayer-topped, 2oz samples.
I got it yesterday and immediately ran out to give it a try. Turned the rust off of a piece of A36 round, dial in a 50 thou cut at 2 thou per rev, and gave it a spray of the 2210XP as soon at the tool started cutting. The fluid flashed into and acrid, oily mist, that stunk to high-heaven. I had to vent the shop, and the wife made me change clothes.

Being in a testing mood, I mixed a tiny amount of coconut oil with a few drops of olive oil. That smoked much less, and the smoke didn't stink. At least not after the 2210XP. It may have stunk, but my smeller was still overloaded. There is enough for me to do more testing.

The Unist company selling the healthy, organic, vegetable oil based cutting fluid for MQL applications has an offer for a free sample on their website. They sent me three, sprayer-topped, 2oz samples.
I got it yesterday and immediately ran out to give it a try. Turned the rust off of a piece of A36 round, dial in a 50 thou cut at 2 thou per rev, and gave it a spray of the 2210XP as soon at the tool started cutting. The fluid flashed into and acrid, oily mist, that stunk to high-heaven. I had to vent the shop, and the wife made me change clothes.

Being in a testing mood, I mixed a tiny amount of coconut oil with a few drops of olive oil. That smoked much less, and the smoke didn't stink. At least not after the 2210XP. It may have stunk, but my smeller was still overloaded. There is enough for me to do more testing.
The proof is in the pudding. You tried it, and it stunk, literally.

Sorry you had to go through with that, but thank you for trying it. I can now eliminate that stuff from my list. I have been over-sensitized to some chemicals, possibly due to my working life. I use the most minimal amount of cutting oils I can, because the fumes/smoke get to me. And I have limited ventilation in my shop. If it gets smoky at all, I have to bail out of there for a while, as the fumes give me near migraine headaches.

I have been over-sensitized to some chemicals,
A common problem. I can not longer use Neosporin, antibacterial drug, for scratches, because I one time I used it on a coral wound for too many days. It was all I had with me at the time!

I also cannot stand to walk through the front entrance of most large department stores. This is because, this is where they have their perfume counters and these strong smells instantly give me head aches. There are others, hair spray on someone leaves me choking!

Back