MSC (probably JET) shear

NateTheGrate

Registered
Registered
We have this model of MSC 30" 1nn bed combi shear...a slightly older verstion. THe problem is this unit has serious cutting issues. I do not think it ever worked very well. Right now if I cut 1mm polyethylene sheet (or sheet metal), the shear just jumps over the material. We have adjust this shear to so it is very close to the bed, but nothing works. Maybe the blade is dull, or the washers need to be made thicker. We have tightened the middle bolt in the back. THe bed is not slipping......it just does not cut.

The reviews on Amazon of this shear are not especially thrilled.

Attachments

• WIN_20210430_13_59_37_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210430_13_59_37_Pro.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 23
Bunch of questions:

How old is the unit?
When was the last time the shear blade was sharpened?
What is the capacity of the unit?
What thickness is the material?
What is the type of material?

The MSE/JET is about 10 years old (2010) serial number bought at MSC. The capacity is 1mm metal, 30" long. If it cannot cut polyethylene, it is kind of sad. Amazon reviews of the model are rather poor 756301

Compared to the South Bend we surplused, I badly miss the old one.
Maybe it needs sharpening? Where/How?

We never used it much...and you can see why. It just hops over the material. Maybe the blade is dull. It is not rusted or anything.

The MSE/JET is about 10 years old (2010) serial number bought at MSC. The capacity is 1mm metal, 30" long. If it cannot cut polyethylene, it is kind of sad. Amazon reviews of the model are rather poor 756301

Compared to the South Bend we surplused, I badly miss the old one.
Maybe it needs sharpening? Where/How?
Most likely you need to sharpen it. If it hasn't been used often, check to see if it is a double sided blade. Maybe the other side has never been used and you can just flip it over. If not, then you will need to have it sharpened. You will need to find a shop that can grind the length you need.

I have the exact same unit sold by HF. They can be tricky to set up because the manual is basically non existent and a lot of it I deduced from many years of using and maintaining equipment. There are several factors that need to be looked at. The blade might need to be sharpened. But one of the adjustments that might be a factor here is on the backside kind of under the press is what looks like a big strap with a bolt in the middle of it. This keeps the shear from bowing out in the middle when under load. Without this adjusted properly it flexes and doesn't cut. I can cut paper with mine.

Oh and another thing, if yours doesn't have the big handles on both sides, it should. Applying torque from just one side is not good because they don't really watch how they clock the keyways on that shaft and it causes internal binding. Mine had never been used. Stored for over 20yrs on its original pallet. NOTHING was adjusted right. Paint between sliding surfaces etc. Mine came with both handles. I would think cutting plastic might be trickier than cutting metal because it's slippery. Also I dumped that silly spring loaded hold down and just use good clamps to hold the work to the table. The hold down doesn't really work that good, increases the amount of pressure it takes to use it and obstructs your view.

Maybe it is a KAKA shear, the JETs (Taiwan) and KAKA (chinese) look almost alike. I smacked the bed of closed shear with a hammer and readjusted the bed. This got me about a 1/3 of the way cut. But this is the best I can do. Not sure if I can reverse the blade.

Yes, that is one problem, we only seem to have one handle on it. I adjusted the bolt on the back. Make it really press against the shear?

The idea is to make pull even. If it’s really grinding in the middle it’s too tight. It’s only there to stop the blade from bowing out in the middle. Does it shear paper now?

Back