• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

MSC rant

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
Well, my sons bday is coming up next week. He just got a 3d Printer, so I thought I would get him a deburring tool set.
I wanted a mixed blade set like I had got from Enco years ago. Tried MSC.. what a rip off. The shipping should be nearer 1/2 the price. This is why I don't buy from MSC.

noga_mscdirect.jpg

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Yep, MSC does not want the hobbyist market. that's why they closed Enco.

My son is supervisor at a huge company's prototype shop. He gets calls and perks to order from them, always 25% off list, often MUCH better. Shipping is free. Now, he does spend $100K on tooling every year.

.LMS.

Lathe Noob
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
They give free UPS shipping on orders over $50, at least to former ENCO customers like me. And I don't think I am special - I probably only spend a couple hundred dollars per year with them.

Yea - the shipping cost on that is crazy. But, I have to believe threre's something else you'd want in that zillion page catalog to get you to $50.... :big grin:

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
I am former Enco, and they offered me another special deal a one client if I remember the name, they still are higher than most everyone else.

FLguy

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Mc Master-Carr....$$$$$ but what you want is in stock and shipping charges are very good plus fast delivery.

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
Mc Master-Carr....$$$$$ but what you want is in stock and shipping charges are very good plus fast delivery.
unfortunately they did not have the assortment I was looking for, for him.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Yep, MSC does not want the hobbyist market. that's why they closed Enco.

My son is supervisor at a huge company's prototype shop. He gets calls and perks to order from them, always 25% off list, often MUCH better. Shipping is free. Now, he does spend $100K on tooling every year.
Yeah, I always wait until I have enough to get the savings as well. I think once a month they offer a 35% deal, definitely worth waiting for.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Higher shipping charge than the item you ordered? Up here that's something we're all familiar with but at least you usually receive your order within a week.

Last edited:

abunai

Registered
Registered
Try Amazon.
Look for the free shipping items.
Shipping to us here is almost always high. Sometimes as much as the item itself, at some places.

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Yup, Amazon and eBay are getting a lot more of my $. Come to think of it, so is AliExpress. MSC is one of the last places I look, when I can't find it ANYWHERE else.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I've been using Zoro lately, some good prices there usually (they're an offshoot of Grainger) free ship for 50$ and single item ship is often only 5
Mark

Last edited:

Cobra

Active User
Here in Canada I moved to KBC. Great company and great service.

[6]
[5] [7]