MT3 Chuck Mount (Baby Bison in the wild)

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am planning to mount a nice 4" Bison chuck on my D1-3 spindle. I cannot easily use a D1-3 back plate. I was planning on using an MT3 mandrel and back plate (the headstock is also MT3.) I am assuming I will need to make a drawbar for safe operation? I could easily see the taper coming loose! Has anyone made such a drawbar? I would love to see some examples. Any other advice?
I tried gripping the small chuck in a larger chuck. That works, and seems secure but I am not happy with the angular runout.

For starts. Centering bushing for outboard end drawbolt, ( like a BP). Fine threads on the MT3 end.

Reactions: rwm
If you are making the MT3 mandrel you can design the drawbar any way you like

If you are making the MT3 mandrel you can design the drawbar any way you like
Im not. It came with one. I think it has M12 threads. That part is easy. How should I configure the handle, nut, whatever to tighten it? I was thinking of a small handwheel?

Oh you can use a nut or handle whichever you want- If a handwheel I guess the bore diameter and keyway (if any) would dictate how to proceed
I made a small bar for my Atlas that uses a nut of the same size as the tailstock lock nut, so I can use the same wrench on both

If the handwheel has a keyway you don't have to use it- you could just put a pin through the hub and shaft of your bar

Reactions: rwm
If the handwheel has a keyway you don't have to use it- you could just put a pin through the hub and shaft of your bar
That's what I'm thinking; a roll pin all the way through both pieces. I may use a steel hub and make a hand wheel out of aluminum that attaches to it.
I machined an M12 screw and welded it to the end of some DOM tube. It is very concentric!
1691787194673.png

Back