[How-To] Multiple prints tied togeter?

jarhead

Registered
Registered
Hi all,
For prototyping purposes is it possible to make something like this mounting plate in 3-4 pieces and then join together with any accuracy?

The final part would be made on my knee mill out of aluminum plate.

Thanks, Joe

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 79
You may be able to design the piece to have puzzle piece like interfaces between the sub-pieces .
A series of holes could also be used to lace parts together with fishing line or string

Maybe even tape sub-pieces together to check dimensions and such

I have made extra large parts out of multiple pieces where I cut half laps at the joints and riveted the two pieces together. I my case, the assembled parts were too large to be machined on the mill so I machine each part and assembled them afterwards. The parts were made fro 6061 and I used countersunk aluminum rivets to make a visually seamless joint. I used dowel pins in a tooling plate to create datums so I could accurately reposition parts after moving them.

Some of the newer slicer versions have the ability to split prints and add connectors to help align them. Prusaslicer has it, though it might only be in the beta version, I don't remember for sure. Might be worth a look, then you don't have to design mating in the CAD that you don't need for machining it.

As others have said, design the pieces with interlocking features so they fit together. PLA glues quite easily with acetone.

John

Back