Resolved Must accept cookies

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have ad blocker disabled for this site, and just got messages that I must accept cookies, and went into a non member mode with ads, and not able to log in unless I accepted them. Something new? I kinda like not being followed....

Weird, I restarted Firefox (again), reloaded this page, and still couldn't get to the login prompt. I closed the browser tab that the forum was open in, opened a new tab and typed in the forum URL anew, and suddenly it has my session active from last week.

It seems like the forum software was tripping itself up over the login status and reporting the wrong error.

Upvote 0
I got around it, to post this, by using a different browser. My main browser is Firefox, and it did receive an update in the past day or two, so there's probably something incompatible between the latest version and the forum's cookie detection code.
bingo. 99.9% of the time this is the issue. check and test your settings.

Upvote 0
bingo. 99.9% of the time this is the issue. check and test your settings.

Well, as you can see from the follow-up, there were no settings to check. The browser upgrade may or may not have been related, but it was the forum software getting tripped up. Nothing changed between when it didn't work and resumed working. That means it probably won't be an isolated incident, so consider it a FYI. :)

p.s. Why does the visible profile info show City/State, which registration says is required for spam/IP stuff, instead of the Location field which would be less of a privacy issue?

Upvote 0
Cookies are almost always a client side problem, I.e. they expire or browser upgrades or cleared caches and cleanup routines demand a renewal.

If it were a server side or forum software problem, there would be systemic complaints. That is currently not the case.

They can be a server side problem when security issues pop up with the cookies, which would then make it an isolated incident. That isn’t the case here.

Another problem I have seen is that jumping into H-M from an e-mail notification or Tapatalk notifications doesn’t always get recognized in the session. This again is usually a third party cookie setting that needs to be set to always allow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Cookies are almost always a client side problem, I.e. they expire or browser upgrades or cleared caches and cleanup routines demand a renewal.

If it were a server side or forum software problem, there would be systemic complaints. That is currently not the case.

My day job is pretty similar to where you're sitting. It's natural to assume user error, because that's what it usually is. But you also have to be aware of situational problems and what different patterns might be hinted at. In my case, the problem happened immediately after registering. That raises the possibility that the problem IS widespread, but you're not aware of it because many people would simply give up and walk away. I knew to try a different browser, because that's the sort of thing I would recommend.

For what it's worth, I've never, ever had the same problem on any of the many forums I've been on over the years. I've also never had a forum pop up cookie requirements that I can think of. That seems like a pretty strong hint.

Upvote 0
Perhaps our definitions of what cookies and modern web browsing forums are is separated by a large gap. When you say “never” have seen cookie requirements on all of forums but this one…I’m faced with my experience of “never not” seeing a cookie acceptance or screwing around with settings in a browser.

Yes it could be a setting. It could be the cookie. Until there is a widespread clamoring and statistical, data driven signal that says this is a problem…it is likely a problem on the client side.

Sorry for the back and forth, but I think it is important for all involved to understand that the interoperability is crucial and users have a role in that.

Upvote 0
Perhaps our definitions of what cookies and modern web browsing forums are is separated by a large gap. When you say “never” have seen cookie requirements on all of forums but this one…I’m faced with my experience of “never not” seeing a cookie acceptance or screwing around with settings in a browser.

Yes it could be a setting. It could be the cookie. Until there is a widespread clamoring and statistical, data driven signal that says this is a problem…it is likely a problem on the client side.

Sorry for the back and forth, but I think it is important for all involved to understand that the interoperability is crucial and users have a role in that.

what i don't appreciate is when i click on a link from a member to one of their post or threads in another section of the site that when it follows the link, that all of a sudden i am "logged" out and must accept cookies, even though i was already logged in prior to clicking on the provided member internal link.. it's about aggravating and i am getting tired of it

Upvote 0
what i don't appreciate is when i click on a link from a member to one of their post or threads in another section of the site that when it follows the link, that all of a sudden i am "logged" out and must accept cookies, even though i was already logged in prior to clicking on the provided member internal link.. it's about aggravating and i am getting tired of it
When you logged in, did you check the box in the login screen giving you the option to "stay logged in"?

Upvote 0
This is a test.

Well, that seems to have posted OK.

Within the past week or so, I think that there have been at least 3 Firefox updates, each of which I allowed to "do it's thing". Everything appears to still be working, at least for me. FWIW, the first line of this post was the original post. The second line was an edit and the third through end were an additional edit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back