My 1340GT

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Still waiting for my electrician to have time for the vfd assembly, and installation. I have the RPC, so he wired it for that, for now until the vfd is done. Got the power on, he checked circuits, and had a rotation meter, and it all checked out. It is running, yeah, but I'm like a 12 year old learning to drive a stick shift. This ain't a 1228, I have to work on memory, coordination, and making sure things are in the detents, also what knob or lever is not in it's detent. Grinding no bueno....

Still waiting for my electrician to have time for the vfd assembly, and installation. I have the RPC, so he wired it for that, for now until the vfd is done. Got the power on, he checked circuits, and had a rotation meter, and it all checked out. It is running, yeah, but I'm like a 12 year old learning to drive a stick shift. This ain't a 1228, I have to work on memory, coordination, and making sure things are in the detents, also what knob or lever is not in it's detent. Grinding no bueno....
It is odd isn't it. I don't remember what lathe you had before the 1340GT but it is a different "muscle memory" exercise initially isn't it? I went from a PM1022 to my new Eisen 1440E. When I got it wired up, I stood back and rather sheepishly thought, "where is the start button?". LOL.
I had not read the manual, I mean, why do that right?! Of course, the lever on the apron does make perfect sense after while.
Also, at one point I could not get it to run. Nada. Nothing. No humming. Zippo. I stood back to assess the situation and think about why my new lathe has all of a sudden decided that it will not run. No white light illuminated on the control panel, yet the DRO was lit. Hmmmmm. Ahhhh, stupid chuck guard was up. DOH!

EDIT: I should say that I actually like having this chuck guard there. My old PM1022 was such a crappy design that I took it off. With this lathe having significantly more power, the totally clear chuck guard and the ability to lift it ever so slightly to stop the machine is a welcome addition.

Neil,,,,Exactly, he told me "run it" UUUUMMMM, let me look at the manual I printed to be sure.....
The PM 1228 definitely had less to remember, and I still have to figure out the Norton gear box, but that is just getting used to it. The spindle runout was almost imperceptible with this DI, I'll have to set up my other one to actually see movement I guess, but it must be pretty good. The needle maybe moved a whisker off of 0 on the face, and nose register.

Last edited:
So far the only thing that takes effort is the gap between H & L to get neutral. It cuts like a dream, and I actually hit a number with a 0 turning :oops: :grin:. My center height is 3.4465, my height tool I whittled out today is 3.448, and I'm going to leave it there to actually see how it does. One unsettling event was the bleed down thingy on the start capacitor popped, and made an electrical smell. It all still runs, but my thinking is I have to stay out of the box, and don't mess with it. Mikey, Dave, Will, and everyone, pretty much everything I needed today was on hand in a drawer. Dial indicators, dial calipers, micrometers, mic holders, parallels, and the knowledge that has been passed on made my day today. Thank you.

I made my first bat project on the 1340. A small snafu to start with, I have run it, and made a small bushing for a friend. Zip, zip, and done. I noticed that the lathe turned off and came to a quick stop, what would I need a breaking resistor for on the vfd(RPC now)? I noticed that there was black rubber under the belt cover, and opened it up, well the belt is proud in the pully, and was rubbing on the cover. I had to cut a portion of the cover to clear, and now I know I'll need a breaking resistor for the vfd:) The cross slide dial has to be tightened, it starts dropping if at 3 or 11 with the handle up, backlash adjustment. I'm glad this is my 2nd lathe, I'm still getting used to the controls, The Norton gear box is a learning experience, and I will figure it out with more seat time. One of todays exercises was getting all of my tooling switched over to BXA holders. I FUBARED my tool height gauge, but I am extremely impressed with my live center, tool, finger nail interface. :grin: The machine repeats direct dial readings, no muss no fuss, it is a very good machine. I am the resident premier/senior hack, so adjust your perceptions of this review...:)
I like it:encourage:

I’ve been wondering how you are doing.

Back