My 1340GT

Glad your new lathe is working out well for you, Mike. I suggest you get that cross slide backlash dialed out if you can. Backlash in the compound and cross slide will beat the hell out of your machine, even if you don't notice chatter. Make sure your gibs are adjusted really well, too. If you do this and keep it lubed and free of chips, that lathe will be running well after you are gone.

You've come a very long way, my friend!

Thank you, still a lot more to figure out/learn :encourage:

VFDs have built in capacity for some limited braking, so depending on what you are machining, you might not need a braking resistor. The braking resistor is dissipating rotational energy, so heavy, large diameter objects will need braking before long slender objects of the same weight. I only using braking while threading, the rest of the time I use coast to stop, so the internal braking of the VFD is all I need at this time.

2nd bat went smoothly, all the tools are set up, and I'm getting my order of processes back in my memory. Getting the pin to drop in the index hole for the Norton is still clumsy. I bought new 10, and 14 inch drill bits of the diameters I needed, and it helped. My total time is down to 2.5, from 3hrs now, but the bats are still making a big mess :rolleyes:

...I noticed that there was black rubber under the belt cover, and opened it up, well the belt is proud in the pully, and was rubbing on the cover...

Mike, I know you have a lot on your plate right now setting-up your new baby but I have noticed that others with PM machines have had problems with the belt that comes with the lathe and I know that I noticed black material coming from the belt from the very beginning on my PM 1236-T. So it might not be the cover or the belt standing proud; it may just be a crummy stock belt? The last time I lifted the cover I noticed a large crack in the belt so I replaced it with a Gates BX24 TriPower belt. I am sure others my have suggestion for a replacement that is better but the Gates BX24 was inexpensive, has worked well and I no longer see the black material I saw with the stock belt.

Have fun!

CD78148F-70F6-4590-89A5-848F1CFBFE48.jpeg

23D117E0-B3C7-411A-9276-CEAF87F1DD8E.png

Thank you, this is a Gates belt that I pre bought, and the back of it was rubbing in the cover. My 1228 had a junk belt on arrival too.

Thank you, this is a Gates belt that I pre bought, and the back of it was rubbing in the cover. My 1228 had a junk belt on arrival too.

You are way ahead of me Mike!

Don't know how I missed this thread, Mike. Glad to learn you're up and running. Is the Compac in your post #6 the one you had an issue with? Did it all get resolved?

Regards,
Terry

He sent me a new one, so it's all good

Reactions: tjb
Back