My $400 Southbend Heavy 10 (part Out Or Restore)???

Should I sell it or restore it??

• Part it out or sell whole machine??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Garthd85

Registered
Registered
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Well goodmorning everyone!!

As a long time lurker and huge fan of this page I finally got me a SoutBend Heavy 10 RKL.
Its the short bed, which is fine with me,
I gave 400 for it and it came with the full collet closer and draw bar etc and some collets, bunch of albreight chucks and some live centers and dead centers and tool posts etc.
Its a 3 phase original motor and the machine definitely was used.

Heres my question I bought it to restore from the ground up, but im not a very machine advanced guy. I am not nervous on the actual process, but more about if this machine is actually worth it. If anyone can chime in and respond to the pictures they see Id appreciate it. I will take whatever other pictures anyone requests to help inform me. I went here because I love the forum and the PM page can be a bit tough. Im just a beginner looking to have a really nice restored machine and its on my bucket list to restore one and have to keep.

I also picked up a clausing 8520 with powerfeed and it actually had the belt gaurd too. I gave 600 for that one. Mt2 with collets but no vise. I will be restoring that one for sure its a great machine and canddiate for a restore.

Anyways hope to hear from you all and thanks in advance!!!!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Btw sorry for pictures being canted wrong and not all full images. First time using this!! Cut me some slack and sorry!!!

The pics rotated wrong is a site issue, not yours. We are used to viewing the forums with head tilted sideways or standing on our heads. 8^) Of course you should restore it! We love old iron and don't want to see any of it die. Heavy 10's are good machines, and that one appears to be complete and a good candidate for restoration. Some wear on the ways, but that will cause much less inaccuracy than you think it will. It will work just fine. You got some nice accessories with it as well. At that price it was a steal! The mill, too! If it was me I would first get it running and check it out well before proceeding or making any big decisions of what to do with it. You will probably be amazed at how good it is just like it is now...

Welcome to Hobby-Machinist!

The pics rotated wrong is a site issue, not yours. We are used to viewing the forums with head tilted sideways or standing on our heads. 8^) Of course you should restore it! We love old iron and don't want to see any of it die. Heavy 10's are good machines, and that one appears to be complete and a good candidate for restoration. Some wear on the ways, but that will cause much less inaccuracy than you think it will. It will work just fine. You got some nice accessories with it as well. At that price it was a steal! The mill, too! If it was me I would first get it running and check it out well before proceeding or making any big decisions of what to do with it. You will probably be amazed at how good it is just like it is now...

Welcome to Hobby-Machinist!
Hey

Hey bob I cant thank you enough for the warm welcome and words. I was crossing my fingers hoping this was a good candidate for a restore. I checked all teeth on gears and the wear is very minimal and the best part is no chips on any of them or any damage whatso ever. Im going to buy a VFD today and wire it in and run it through its courses and take your advice and see what comes of it again. I ran the machine on location at the gentlemens fathers house. It was his fathers and he just passed. Very nice man. So i checked the half nut wear on running power feeds and the clutch and all worked great as did the quick change gears. One thing that needs an adjustment is the tensioning handle down low on the cabinet. It seems a bit tight. Has original kotor and the original belt lol its dirty as hell because it sat in the garage while his father worked in their for over 30 years.

Welcome aboard! I would clean out up and use it as is. If it suits your needs then I would refurb it.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

Thanks for the warm welcome jake!! Yea a restore is probably pretty extensive I just got excited I got it and started listing all the things I wanted to do like a little kid. I think the advice I have received so far is very good. I will clean it hp and use it for a bit and see if it is what I want and am happy with enough to do a full job on her. Im sure it will be a beautiful machine tho. Hear some great things about the heavys!!

Thanks for the warm welcome jake!! Yea a restore is probably pretty extensive I just got excited I got it and started listing all the things I wanted to do like a little kid. I think the advice I have received so far is very good. I will clean it hp and use it for a bit and see if it is what I want and am happy with enough to do a full job on her. Im sure it will be a beautiful machine tho. Hear some great things about the heavys!!
Restorations are optional. Really ugly machines can make really beautiful parts. Many of us, especially us hobbyists, want to have everything in our shops just so, pretty paint, clean floors, no clutter anywhere. That is perfectly fine if that is what floats your boat, but it is a large hole to put money and effort into. My shop is certainly not going to make the enthusiast magazines, but it works for me.

I suggest you wipe off the dirt and grime, clean and lubricate and repair everything that moves and rubs, and run with that for some time while you think about it. IMHO, old machines are supposed to look old. They have soldiered on for decades under things like production work, neglect, fools and idiots running them, and are still useful today, even with their scars and patina. How cool is that? It is just as good to have an old machine that shows its history as it is to have a showroom condition restoration, in fact better in my opinion. Again YMMV, and I respect that...

The guys above gave you sound advise. if it is intact and can be powered up and run for a bit then oil her up and use her to see how worn it really is and make notes about what needs attention. My experience restoring my heavy 10 was a pleasurable one, I knew nothing about it when I started the restore but I learned as I did it. And now I have a fine lathe that I use and enjoy and I am very proud of it. if you haven't already seen it I did a thread on the whole restore, it might help you decide if you want to do it and to what level, it may also be helpful for reference as you do yours

Back