My $400 Southbend Heavy 10 (part Out Or Restore)???

Should I sell it or restore it??

• Part it out or sell whole machine??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi Garth,

Welcome to the site!

I agree with what's stated above. Clean it, lube it and use it.
Then you'll know if the short bed will do everything you want.
Make the decision on full restore later, once you know it better.

By the way, it's nice to see so many photos. Thanks for that!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

-brino

Garth you got a great deal for a grand- you east coast guys find all the great bargains- that stuff would cost double (or triple) that out west here.
Have fun!
Mark S.

All the feedback was very very pleasing to hear. The only thing and the knoy thing im worried about is bed wear. While I know it varies from bed to bed and the severity of it, i noticed a very strong ridge near the prism top near the v. It seems like it has some good good wear on it. I notice the carriage seems to move very well through out the whole carriage but towards the headstock it becomes very loose and easy, which would make me feel that this lathe was obviously used alot! I dont know what to do. I want to use it but im also leary of this excessive wear. Or maybe then again as I said being a newb I know nothing of which im stating lol im just stating what i have observed. I cant ***** because I got this lathe for 400 bucks but before I buy a vfd wire it up and go forward I want to make sure this bed isnt trash. The pictures i took will show that ridge. I can also take more pics if anyone has anymore insight!!
Thanks to all of you you are all greatly appreciated.

Well I have bad news I am selling the lathe but want it to go to a good home. Im offering it out for 500 bucks. I paid for an electric lift gate diesel truck in getting it so 500 breaks even for me. Im selling it due to the fact that my friend locally is actually going to sell me his southbend 10k light complete and in superb condition for 800 bucks I really cant compete with that. Anyways first come first serve

Im located in middletown CT 06457

Its on wheels and is easy to move around. Thanks alot for everyones awesome help and welcoming. Im sure you would all understand. Ill be posting pics of the 10k when i get it

i noticed a very strong ridge near the prism top near the v. It seems like it has some good good wear on it.

My 1937 SouthBend 9" has that too. However, it's the best lathe I've ever had, and I have zero thoughts of "upgrading".

I want to use it but im also leary of this excessive wear. Or maybe then again as I said being a newb I know nothing of which im stating lol im just stating what i have observed.

It really all depends on what you want to do......and only you can answer that.
What are you making parts for? What kind of tolerances are required?
It's all about expectations.

There are workarounds that can be used to get past machine limitations including wear, and I believe understanding these makes you a better machinist. You end up knowing the machine limits and the cause of those limits and then can find creative solutions.

I have managed some 2-3 thou. press fit tolerances. It does everything I need.

before I buy a vfd wire it up and go forward I want to make sure this bed isnt trash.

How difficult would it be to throw a single phase (maybe 220V) motor in and take it for a test drive?
That would allow you to make a "test bar" to scientifically gauge the slop.
(after the clean, lubricate and alignment check of course!)

-brino

EDIT: Whoooops, I just saw your last post. It doesn't sound like bad news for who ever gets it!
Either way you're not out any money on it, and (hopefully) it's not going to the junkyard!

Last edited:
My 1937 SouthBend 9" has that too. However, it's the best lathe I've ever had, and I have zero thoughts of "upgrading".

It really all depends on what you want to do......and only you can answer that.
What are you making parts for? What kind of tolerances are required?
It's all about expectations.

There are workarounds that can be used to get past machine limitations including wear, and I believe understanding these makes you a better machinist. You end up knowing the machine limits and cause the of those limits and then can find creative solutions.

I have managed some 2-3 thou. press fit tolerances. It does everything I need.

How difficult would it be to throw a single phase (maybe 220V) motor in and take it for a test drive?
That would allow you to make a "test bar" to scientifically gauge the slop.
(after the clean, lubricate and alignment check of course!)

-brino

EDIT: Whoooops, I just saw your last post. It doesn't sound like bad news for who ever gets it!
Either way you're not out any money on it, and (hopefully) it's not going to the junkyard!

Thanks for all the awesome insight. No Ill keep it before i let it go to the scrapyard. But yes its for sale and I get my lathe friday

Thanks for all the awesome insight. No Ill keep it before i let it go to the scrapyard. But yes its for sale and I get my lathe friday

I guess your right. Im an all or nothing kind of guy at times. Im not making parts for NASA thats for sure. Just some wheels spacers and shaving fork legs etc all for Motorcycle application

Definitely use it ! Contact Plaza Machinery for parts. Use the restorations in the knowledge base as a guide. Post your restoration effort here to guide others.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Well gentlemen I just pulled the ad down and i decided to go through the lathe pretty well and it def is a great candidate for a restore. Besides some worn ways and not being that horrible the machine is getting a vfd next week and will run it through its courses. I just couldnt see it go. Through the advice of all you great people its the best choice.
I did however pick up a pretty pretty clean 10k for 800 bucks. Ill attach pictures and let you see and judge. The serial code shows kax. Which i believe means 10 inch swing and hardened bedways with the QCGB etc.
its clean and Im digging it. 3 phase as well which will also get a vfd. The 3 phase motors and vfds sure are sweet glad both these southbends have em.

Well chime in with anything.
Also on the 10k youll see the ways are excellent right near head stock, but for about an 8 inch stretch is this dull pitting its not horrible but it could hold some oil :) any idea how to fix that or make it a bit better..??

I plan on starting the tear down on the heavy 10 after wired up and taking it through its courses one more time. Will be my first time doing this so i will need help from all of you and will be having a new thread which will be picture heavy. Should be fun tho.
Also want to strip down and do a nice repaint and clean up of my clausing 8520 with powerfeed.
Too many projects not enough time!!!!!!
Sheesh

Well chime in with anything.

Okay, lemme see.........two decent lathes, at great prices and the room to keep both..........how about:

:you suck:
(which is a badge of honor here, showing jealousy)

But seriously; congratulations!

-brino

Back