My 70 Nova project (Formerly looking at this mustang)

Well here is bi-monthly update.

I ended up buying a set of hooker blackheart coated headers. Really nice headers, very heavy. Unfortunately they require a set of expensive hooker motor mounts as they won't clear standard ls swap mounts. And the hooker frame mount adapter plates didn't line up with the mounting holes in the frame. I'm still at a loss as to why they didn't line up. I have the hooker trans cross member and that sets the fore/aft engine/trans position. With the other swap mounts they have several positions to adapt to different applications and they fit well and used the same mounting holes on both sides. The left hooker mount was off .720 too far forward, and the right was .450 too far back. I was able to design a set of frame mounting plates that worked, but for the $200 I was stuck paying for the hooker mounts they should have fit. First pic shows just how far the left mount was off.

After making up new plates I got the engine mounted again and making up new power steering hoses (didn't clear the hooker engine plates) I tried to put the headers in. Right side was a piece of cake, left side wouldn't go from top or bottom. Had to pull the steering box out and hold the header halfway in place, and lift the heavy power steering box in with one hand. Was fun......not really. But the headers are in and they fit nicely, tuck up pretty well and look great. I got the x-pipe and mufflers on back to just in front of the rear axle. The tail pipe don't even come close to fitting, so I'm taking it to a muffler shop to have them modified to fit. Had to call several places to find someone that will modify the pipes I have because they are mandrel bent, and the other places just wanted to bend up new ones without a mandrel bender that crushes the pipes and decreases there ID drastically.

I started the car up today and I am disappointed in how it sounds. Sounds just like before, an engine with no exhaust, just the noise is coming from back further that it was without the exhaust on. The kit has chambered mufflers, don't like them at all. The sound may change after the tail pipes are on, but I doubt it. I have a magnaflow on my LS2 in my trailblazer SS and it sounds great.

I need to put the interior in and a few more things then I can hopefully drive it to have the tail pipes fitted and a front end alignment.

20220211_161359.jpg20220310_155343.jpg20220310_155350.jpg

Last edited:
As I recall, you replaced the front sub-frame early in the build. Could the engine mount mis-match have something to do with that?

Great progress. Thanks for the update.

I had thought about that, but again the other mounts lined up perfectly both sides using the same hole positions. The replacement sub frame came off a 69, so they are supposed to be identical. The worst part about it is I had to order in the 1/4" steel plate in and wait 2 weeks for it. I have plenty of aluminum plate, but it's not strong enough as it's 6061. If I had any 7075 I'd have used that. This would have been easier if hooker had made the engine adapters with slotted mounting holes, or left enough material for me to mill the holes into slots. Others make slider mounts, but I didn't buy them unfortunately.

hooker1.jpg

You should have asked, I would have given you a 2x3ft piece. I have a whole stack of them.
If I would have known you had the materail I woud have gladly came and got it. Would be a great excuse to see and old friend again.

Alloy, If you’re looking for a local alignment shop I was pleased with Castle Rock Brake & Alignment.
I have no affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer.
And they always have a few Hot Rods there, but I suspect you already knew this.
Cheers

Alloy, If you’re looking for a local alignment shop I was pleased with Castle Rock Brake & Alignment.
I have no affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer.
And they always have a few Hot Rods there, but I suspect you already knew this.
Cheers
I've driven by there many times but never give them a thought. I'll look into them. Thanks for letting me know about them.

Right now I have to figure out why now with a new wiring harness my right turn indicator comes on when I turn my headlights on. Turn signals still work. Didn't do that until now. :dunno::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

Well the nova has seen the light of day. First time in 2 plus years. Moved it from the shop into the driveway under it's own power. Waiting for my wife to get home and give it a test drive.

Already have problems with the hydro boost. The pedal won't return fully and the brake lights stay on. And I've not even pushed the brake yet, the boost just pulls the pedal down when the engine is running. I also found out the clutch engages very high in the pedal travel. With the hydraulic throwout bearing not sure how I can adjust that.

I did get the bucket seats in, found out I absolutely hate them. So yesterday I took a bench seat that I bought awhile back down to have it recovered. Gonna cost $1200. Best price I could find. Another guy was $2600.

Hopefully all goes well tonight.

20220331_154254.jpg20220331_154231.jpg

Is this acceptable? I gave up after 4 hours of trying to get the hood to come down.

I guess I need an expert to set the gaps and fix the hood. Im really glad you volunteered to help.

Just let me know when you will be here.

20220331_171209.jpg

Back