My 70 Nova project (Formerly looking at this mustang)

Not wasn't planning on a roll bar, hadn't even thought of that. Although I just looked and summit has a main hoop for $57. I just don't really want the back support bars and a roll bar without supports isn't worth much I don't think. Still a good idea. Let me think more on this.

From the looks of it there isn't much room in the front of the shifter. And I have factory bucket seats which won't allow me to hide much. I think you are right, add to what I have and I'm hoping a piece of 1" 11 gauge square tubing ran all the way across will be worth adding.

Exotropic is going to come up next weekend and look things over and brain storm with me. I think it's a good idea to have someone else take a look at it.

Your work on the transmission tunnel is very nice, for max strength i usually sandwich it with thick piece of steel. I've dealt with modern cars that use front subframe and only real way i've found to make it really strong is to cage the body. I've done many sneaky cages, hidden tubes behind the dashboard going forward in to the subframe, then cross bracing it with the radiator support this stopped the windscreen from cracking in high power front wheel drive cars. On another note have you left enough space for the transmission to move without touching. I'm surprised how awful the factory welds are on the subframe, i hope you are going to go over them.

Actually I've not done anything to it yet, those are pics of what someone else did to the cross member. I've not cut mine yet at all.

Want to get a plan together before doing that.

Yeah they are bad, but it would take a ton of time to grind them out and redo them, especially since I'm not a welder and am relying on friends for that.

They lasted 50 years, hoefully they will last awhile longer.
welds1.jpg
welds2.jpg

Are you going to weld in sub frame connectors?

I hadn't planned on it. To me it's a driver with an occasionally foray to the drag strip on a weekend when my wife isn't home. (she thinks it's as much her car as it is mine) Yes one day she paid $125 at pick and pull for the explorer rear brakes, (wouldn't let me pay) but I guess what's hers is hers, and what's mine is hers. Or at least that's what she tells me :confused:

I relate to the wife deal I try to include the old lady in some of my insanity until it get to technical then she just says I don't know what the hell your talking about lol. You sound knowledgeable I was thinking for cheap get a used mig and you could be welding real quick doing a better job than most. There is excellent tutorials on YouTube. Just a thought it would be a worthwhile skill.

My wife is so past understanding what I do now it's not even funny. One minute I'm talking about the car, then the next about trying to program a part for my mill. She tells me my wheels are always turning, which is right. I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a idea, and sometimes I get up and jot it down so I won't forget it.

I do have a 110v wire feed welder here. I acquired it some years ago. It just needs a argon tank from what I remember. I see Amazon has an 80 cu tank for $255 delivered.

I do think it would take a lot of practice to weld the new floor pans, They are much thinner than the originals are. And the original pans have been hacked up buy the foot well pretty good. I see 3 layers there in one spot.

I do like the idea of frame connectors. and I guess even just a single hoop roll bar would be a good place to mount a shoulder belt.

Frame connectors make a big difference and they are cheap just buy square or rectangle tubing. With sheetmetal I use gas with the thinnest wire I can get .023 I think. I have done both floor plans and the sub frame connectors and the floor pans have irregular thickness in places so I found it best to just stitch it together one inch then move to the opposite side tack an inch and so forth let it cool and continue. You got a nice project and the right attitude I'm sure you'll have fun and be successful. I had a 72 nova by the way 406 stroker those were the days. Good luck

You are starting to convince me. The welder is a old snap on I've had since the 80's with a stitch feature. Just no tank. Has a large roll of .023

Has spot and stitch function.

ya219.jpg

Dude your golden! You gotta go for it man. Just rent a bottle and see how you like it.

Back