My Baldor Bit the Dust

jdedmon91

Registered
Registered
Today my 6” Baldor bit the dust. I had cut off a bunch of double ended milling cutters and was dressing the ends on the Baldor when it just went poof. I bought this grinder a could Year’s ago at an estate auction for $25. I made new stands and wheel spaces for it and cleaned it up and painted it.

I’m just got to trash it. I have enough bench grinders (not as nice as the Baldor). It doesn’t sting too bad since it wasn’t an expensive purchase. My guess is something went wrong in the windings or armature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it made smoke, maybe the capacitor, yes, worth checking out,

Last edited:
Don't tell me this!?!?!? I just bought a new Baldor motor and installed it a week ago. They're supposed to last forever!!!

Just like a bearing that says lubricated for life. Means when it locks up from no lubrication it’s time for a replacement ie. life of bearing. :confused:
Or my wife’s transmission on her mini. Trans doesn’t have a dipstick and manual states DO NOT service. Says lifetime synthetic fluid? Having problems with delayed shift checked fluid was low and diiirrrtttyyy! Not your typical procedures to check. Did a flush and back to good. Don’t trust anything that says lifetime lube change it like before.

Today my 6” Baldor bit the dust. I had cut off a bunch of double ended milling cutters and was dressing the ends on the Baldor when it just went poof. I bought this grinder a could Year’s ago at an estate auction for $25.

I’m just got to trash it.

Heck, in 'as-is' condition, for parts, it's still worth more than you paid. With a stand, maybe a LOT more.

Just like a bearing that says lubricated for life. Means when it locks up from no lubrication it’s time for a replacement ie. life of bearing. :confused:
Or my wife’s transmission on her mini. Trans doesn’t have a dipstick and manual states DO NOT service. Says lifetime synthetic fluid? Having problems with delayed shift checked fluid was low and diiirrrtttyyy! Not your typical procedures to check. Did a flush and back to good. Don’t trust anything that says lifetime lube change it like before.

BMW has a thing about "lifetime" oil in transmissions. My Mini has the manual trans which also has "lifetime" oil.
Mine gets changed anyway.
Back in 2014, BMW came out with a new model 1200GS motorcycle. Had no drain plug in the rear drive since it "never" needed
changing. Then BMW started to change their minds when rear drives started failing. At first they said one change at the 600 mile
service, and later they went to more frequent changes.

I think "lifetime" at BMW means until the warranty expires. Then you're on your own.

Today my 6” Baldor bit the dust. I had cut off a bunch of double ended milling cutters and was dressing the ends on the Baldor when it just went poof. I bought this grinder a could Year’s ago at an estate auction for $25. I made new stands and wheel spaces for it and cleaned it up and painted it.

I’m just got to trash it. I have enough bench grinders (not as nice as the Baldor). It doesn’t sting too bad since it wasn’t an expensive purchase. My guess is something went wrong in the windings or armature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about seeing what a motor shop would charge to rewind it. If you payed $25.00 for it, you've got some headroom on cost,
and if it's the nicest grinder you have it might be worth it.

Back