My Baldor Bit the Dust

Spin the grinding wheel by hand and then turn on the power while it spinning.... If the motor fires up and runs then you need capacitors..... If it doesn't run like that then scrap it....

How about seeing what a motor shop would charge to rewind it. If you payed $25.00 for it, you've got some headroom on cost,
and if it's the nicest grinder you have it might be worth it.

I had a job at a shop rewinding motors by hand and it costs a ton of money to get that done to a motor, usually more than the cost of a brand new one.... But if you go to a good rewinding shop they use nano-coat magnet wire that can be used with a VFD up to 2000HZ.....

Last edited:
Sorry to hear. Unfortunately, no one on the HM can help you fix it. Just saying it went poof will just get all sorts of random fix suggestions and could just run you in circles. Sounds like you are handy? Better if you took a multimeter to it and did some homework on it. Then maybe got back to us and pics would also be nice. GOOD LUCK!

Jim is correct, it may be just a bad capacitor (20$ or so) or a centrifugal switch that needs cleaning and adjusting (0$, usually)
It's rare that a USA made motor's windings short out so badly the unit must be scrapped
Mark

Not all Baldors are made in the USA. Maybe all the grinders were though, IDK.

Just like a bearing that says lubricated for life. Means when it locks up from no lubrication it’s time for a replacement ie. life of bearing. :confused:
Or my wife’s transmission on her mini. Trans doesn’t have a dipstick and manual states DO NOT service. Says lifetime synthetic fluid? Having problems with delayed shift checked fluid was low and diiirrrtttyyy! Not your typical procedures to check. Did a flush and back to good. Don’t trust anything that says lifetime lube change it like before.
I was just reading about some new briggs and stratton engines. The oil never needs changing, just check and add oil when needed. Or maybe its like my old Suburban, had so many leaks and drips, every six months you added enough oil that it is changed any way.

Heck, in 'as-is' condition, for parts, it's still worth more than you paid. With a stand, maybe a LOT more.

It didn’t have a stand just the grinder. The grinder built up a lot of heat before it went up in smoke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear. Unfortunately, no one on the HM can help you fix it. Just saying it went poof will just get all sorts of random fix suggestions and could just run you in circles. Sounds like you are handy? Better if you took a multimeter to it and did some homework on it. Then maybe got back to us and pics would also be nice. GOOD LUCK!

As I said the motor was developing a lot of heat. My suspicion is the windings was suspect when I purchased it. It was on pretty rough shape when purchased the grinder. In fact when I cleaned it up the start capacitor appeared to already changed. So I’m scrapping it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back