My Cave

Buying donor rifles... I know the routine!

You must read John Hinnant's book on action and barrel work, he gives plans and designs for all the fixtures you'll need to make. That book moved me years ahead of figuring things out for myself.
I have stopped myself from buying a few more on the used rack at one of the gun stores/pawn shop. Once I get rolling, it might be harder to say no.

I will put that book on my Christmas list. It looks very informative. Thanks for the heads up. I bought and read this one around 2002 or so. Time to read it again. 20191122_195103.jpg

The Z-axis power feed is installed. I used the mill to drill the extender and the stop bracket extrusion. Plus, no matter how I turned the mounting collar, the motor was going to interfere with the rear column bolt or wasn't angled enough to clear the table. At first I thought I might have installed the main flange upside down but I couldn't turn the shaft when I flipped it 180 and tightened the screws. It would clear with one of the factory threaded holes but not both. So I just decided to make 2 more holes and have the motor bolt up with 3 screws instead of 2. The factory M6 10mm long screws wouldn't work with the collar. Ones that are 16mm long worked. 20mm were too long and bottomed out on the bearing before the collar was tight. I decided to use M6 screws for the extrusion as well.

Next I will tackle the lathe tach and temporary mount until I get a spider made.

I still need to finish some fixtures and get some tool boxes but I have ran some jobs for actual cash.

I think the cave needed to be more manly.

Attachments

• 20210306_205826.jpg
    20210306_205826.jpg
    906.3 KB · Views: 80
Nice shop! Id move in. So the tool holder on the splash gaurd, electrical cabinet mounting strip? Cool!

Nice shop! Id move in. So the tool holder on the splash gaurd, electrical cabinet mounting strip? Cool!
Yeah, its the left over din rail. Only issue is the tools are sideways and the height stem limits how many will fit. I need to make a plate with a bolt that slides in the rail to stand the holders up. One day I hope to run out of space.
Doesn't Texas have child labor laws, pic 4 . :)
Not if they are your kids, lol.

Does your tool rack get messy when you run cast iron?

What part of Texas? North, East, South, West or Central? I'm in the "big country"

Does your tool rack get messy when you run cast iron?

What part of Texas? North, East, South, West or Central? I'm in the "big country"
Because it doesn't go all the way to the chuck, the tool holder stays relatively free of chips. It seems cast iron goes more towards me than rhe splash gaurd.

I'm in Central Texas about halfway between Gatesville and Temple.

Back