My favorite antique tool.

In all the CL adds I see around here people are asking slightly less per pound of anvil than they are asking per ounce of gold.

Are you going to try to attack the rust in a spooge tank? I.e. water + electricity?
no, I took the rust off with an angle grinder with a cup brush then used a rust dissolver. the only thing left to do would be to smooth out the top with a flap disc but I'm actually digging the texture on the top. I make my own fishing spoons out of brass and when I work the brass on the anvil it leaves a texture that I really like. if I was blacksmithing I would smooth it out. or when I need to for a project. for right now I'm done.
spoon.jpg

Any thoughts on repainting the nose/horn with the safety white again?

I didn't know about that! saw the old white paint before I wire wheeled it but wasn't smart enough to put 2 and 2 together.

I'm sure it was added in it's history after some brass hat hit it on his way by :)

I don't think this anvil had a very busy history. for something designed to be beaten with iron and steel work over a 108 year span it has very little wear and damage. I've seen much never ones with the edges chipped all to hell. or it could be that this was a farriers anvil and was not used for heavy work. the area north of me Ocala and Gainesville is Florida's horse country.

STOLEN! Great score. Now to learn how to use it the right way. First, remove as little metal as possible from the face. If you need to work non-ferrous metals and end up with a smooth finish, use a lesser anvil and polish the face. Second, avoid hitting cold metal on that nice anvil. Get it hot.

You got a hell of a deal on that one. Seems to me back in the 70's you could find them dirt cheap or free. There popularity sure has soared, along with the price. I have one form my dad's shop, that my ignoramis younger brother took a carbon arch torch to. When I get a little time, I need to try and repair it. Mike

I think the price increase has been driven by a big increase in young Americans discovering blacksmithing. Its nice to see these young guys taking an interest in making things in this country again.

Back