My first lathe arrived today

Three tires up,-one to go . . .

Boat winch on the headstock end and a four double-pulley system on the tailstock end.
I'm amazed by how much you can lift with a pulley system. The pulleys are small, so I'll buy larger pulleys tomorrow.

lathe5.JPG

lathe6.JPG

At last,-4 tires. What remains is lifting the lathe slightly above the tires, making it level and roll the tubing on top of the frame until it hangs above the tool bench.

lathe7.JPG

It looks like a nice, solidly built machine - good choice!

Solid enough to make me spend three days getting it up on top of the cabinet.
When having adjusted it properly I think this machine will do a great job.
Luckily I could afford to not only have a low price as a priority.

I can identify with the sudden change in feelings about so-called 'junk'. Once you realize that you can take ordinary garbage and turn it into something useful, you'll find yourself slowing down while driving to peek into trash cans, making friends with local scrap metal dealers, etc.

From now on you'll see value where others see trash. It's really life-changing in my opinion.

Isn't that a true statement, "From now on you'll see value where others see trash ",
I pick up washers, scrap metal in all kinds of locations that I never noticed before. Having a lathe and/or a mill sure changes your outlook on life.

It ain't junk. It's useful stuff. I just don't yet know what it's useful for.

Scrap engine block ---> sledgehammer ---> pieces of aluminium ---> eat canned beans etc. ---> tin cans ---> hole in the ground --->
charcoal ---> hair drier ---> ALUMINIUM ROUND STOCK.

Ta-taaaa . . . . it's done.
To call this a mini-lathe is an understatement. Try moving it.

View attachment 274897

That's good.
You want a solid foundation.
I don't know how much my old 13" South Bend weighs but it is a beast. The Bridgeport is no slouch either.
I can't imagine moving one of those big old Cincinnati or Tucker & Kearney (SP)? machines.
Enjoy that lathe.

Back