My first Machinist’s Hammer.

RandallsRaceShop

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
At the moment, I am an absolutely horrible hobby machinist! (I don’t think I should even use the word “machinist”...I should probably describe myself as “some guy with a bench lathe”).
This was my 3rd crack at the machinist’s hammer. I managed to trash more metal than I care to admit.
I feel like it’s out of proportion (I think the head is too wide). It is however my 1st successful attempt at making the hammer.

I’ve got a lot to learn!!!!!!!! I hate to admit this, but the hammer was quite a challenge for me. So in a way, I am proud of it.

DD83DBA5-62AE-449D-868B-18E071DDB6C5.jpeg7E007583-59B2-45EE-BA3E-8AF70D4EA372.jpegA877BFEC-D192-4C81-B4F0-CC9BC1947FA4.jpeg

That one is just so pretty!
It's a hammer to tap your stuff to settle into place to attain precision, but also is the product of your own work. The width of the head is not important so long as it will actually function as a wacker thingy. If you are going to be tapping on small clock mechanisms, then OK - make a smaller one.

What gives this hammer value way beyond the total of whatever it will do tapping on stuff is that you made it for yourself, and that you are proud of it! That there were previous attempts on the way only boosts it's utility. You learned stuff that will stay in you in a very permanent way!

@RandallsRaceShop: I’ve got a lot to learn!!!!!!!! I hate to admit this, but the hammer was quite a challenge for me. So in a way, I am proud of it.

Your pride is justified. I don't see ANYTHING out of proportion. Nice work!

I seriously appreciate all of the positive replies/reinforcement.
Thank you guys!
One thing’s for sure, for as small as that hammer is, it’s got some weight to it!
I’ve already stowed it away in the “tool drawer” of my tool box.
Now just to figure out the next project I’m going to mess up 3 times before actually making it.
I’ve got a few things in mind, I just need to pick one & roll with it.
For today, I took a little break then headed back out to the shop to clean/oil up my machine & the mess I had made while working on the hammer.

@RandallsRaceShop: I’ve got a lot to learn!!!!!!!! I hate to admit this, but the hammer was quite a challenge for me. So in a way, I am proud of it.

Your pride is justified. I don't see ANYTHING out of proportion. Nice work!
Thank you, sir!
I greatly appreciate the compliment.

Very nicely done. I think we can all agree that this is a perfect example of when the ENDS justifies the MEANS.

Back