My first Machinist’s Hammer.

It never really crossed my mind to name it.
Is that a thing?
Yeah, it's a thing in my own strange world. It was a topic lately, so I listed off some of the names of my hammers.

I have a suggestion. Astraea, the Greek goddess of precision. If you stamp the name on the head, your parts will always seat perfectly in the vise and your fixture alignments will always be ideal. It works. For example, I have a 24 oz ball pein hammer named M.C. (stop, it's hammer time) that is swift and graceful, and when invoked, will separate a seized ball joint taper from a rusty steering knuckle with one fast crack every time. There's really something to it.

You guys are way too kind. I appreciate the likes & responses to my post.
Since we’re here, I have a question about the hammer I posted.
I did not thread the Delrin heads & handle single point on the lathe, nor did I single point internal thread the holes in the hammer head.
I used a taper tap, followed by a bottoming tap, the handle & Delrin pieces I used a die.
The pieces all go really nicely until you get them about 3/4 of the way in, then they kind of tighten up. I really don’t think it’s right, but I don’t know why they’re all like that.
I bored the holes for the Delrin pieces .600
Made the threaded/relieved part of the Delrin .500
Hole for the handle was bored to .700 & the threaded/relieved part of the handle is .500.

The thread I selected is 1/2”X20 for all 3 pieces. I turned the male parts down to .494 before threading.
Holes were drilled to tap drill size 29/64.

I pretty much feel like this wouldn’t even be a thing had I single pointed all of this stuff.
But it’s the change gears. I have threaded a couple of things on my lathe & did the gear changing. It’s time consuming & a little annoying in the middle of a project. So I took the easy road...or the road that leads to threads that act funny 3/4 of the way in.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

Randall

Edit:
I did take my boring bar in to get rid of the drill cone after drilling the holes in the head.

When you cut the die threads did you cut the thread, flip the die, and cut to the bottom? Most dies have a lead-in and if you don't flip the die over to finish then the last few turns won't be fully formed threads. Using the bottoming tap should prevent similar issues in the female threads. Best I can come up with.
At this point consider it a feature: you don't want any of that loosening up anyway! I'm about 25 years behind plan on making my first machinist's hammer...

GsT

When you cut the die threads did you cut the thread, flip the die, and cut to the bottom? Most dies have a lead-in and if you don't flip the die over to finish then the last few turns won't be fully formed threads. Using the bottoming tap should prevent similar issues in the female threads. Best I can come up with.
At this point consider it a feature: you don't want any of that loosening up anyway! I'm about 25 years behind plan on making my first machinist's hammer...

GsT
Ha!
You know what? I absolutely did not flip my die around.
Thank you!

Back