My first mill: induma 1s

keen99

Registered
Registered
This followed me home yesterday. Used a pallet jack and a drop deck trailer (seller had a forklift, so that helped on that end - dropped it on 4x6 blocks on the trailer)

things I know so far:

I need a power feed on the knee, or at least a drill adapter. 5 slots on the knee handle...... and .001" per revolution.

the collet (r8) alignment pin is loose, so I have to remove the spindle bottom nut....dont have a pin spanner to fix that 85mm nut though.

the nod gear is super stiff - I could move it about 1 degree either way. the rotate and slide gears work fine. table runs smooth, gets a smidge tight at the ends. haven't run the knee up (I dont have the patience) more than ~1 inch or so.

quill lock is worn, doesnt quite lock in the well used area. at full extension it locks ok. gravity just drags the handle down always, adding a spring between the locks to give it a bit of pressure - will see if that helps keep it from wearing as bad from auto-locking. and trying to find a shim stack to align the handle in the sweet spot so it'll unlock and lock fully in it's range....

VFD arrives tomorrow - two of them, since the X power feed is 3 phase.

and I need to order oil.

anyone know, for sure, what size pin wrench I need for the spindle nut? and what size the collet alignment pin is? :)

IMG_2919.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2862.JPG
    IMG_2862.JPG
    323.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2861.JPG
    IMG_2861.JPG
    397.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2907.JPG
    IMG_2907.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2908.JPG
    IMG_2908.JPG
    339.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2896.JPG
    IMG_2896.JPG
    358.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
oh! and I need/want new handles on the X - these dont spin in the hand, they're solid. ouch, that burns.....

Induma! Looks nice. Hefty looking power feed on there, and fully articulating head also
Plus it's step pulley = reliable

got the collet alignment screw out - 1/4-32 thread about 7mm long (thread section). pin end is very very worn at ~~1.7mm long, ~~3.73mm diameter. from what I can tell, the bridgeport part is also 1/4-32 at least per a H&W video....

got the collet alignment screw out - 1/4-32 thread about 7mm long (thread section). pin end is very very worn at ~~1.7mm long, ~~3.73mm diameter. from what I can tell, the bridgeport part is also 1/4-32 at least per a H&W video....
I have my pin stored in a toolbox, somewhere.

The pins shear all too easy, I replaced mine and soon after, it sheared again, I did not bother to replace it again, its really not needed, I made an electric drill adaptor for the one that I had, it worked very well, so far as the self locking quill lock, we just used a rubber band to keep it disengaged.

I made an electric drill adaptor for the one that I had, it worked very well, so far as the self locking quill lock, we just used a rubber band to keep it disengaged.

one of the ebay sellers makes custom - he's already got it in the works, and if it needs fine tuning he'll make another. if it works, $26 well spent in my book and other induma folks will have access to them too. :)

got it powered up tonight on a VFD - it was running when I bought it, but only lightly tested.

turns out it's got a few problems.

the quill power feed is stripped. any kind of upward pressure (including hitting the stop) will cause it to skip on the gears. just a hand pushing on the spindle will do it.

the motor bearings are really loud - slacking the belt helped. I cant find a lube point for these, so I guess it'll be a teardown soon.

Last edited:
oh! and I need/want new handles on the X - these dont spin in the hand, they're solid. ouch, that burns.....
Two words…… WD-40 on the handles until your hand toughens up.

Spinny handles are nice, but I feel you lose some feel with these, hence the reason most machines have solid non rotating handle’s.

the quill power feed is stripped. any kind of upward pressure (including hitting the stop) will cause it to skip on the gears. just a hand pushing on the spindle will do it.
Are you sure the gears are stripped?

You might be mistaking the clutch action as stripped gears and that is adjustable to an extent.

Back