My first mill: induma 1s

You might be mistaking the clutch action as stripped gears and that is adjustable to an extent.

yes!

pulled the quill feed clutch apart after I found a spec for quill pressure (200lbs on the quill - measure it using the handwheel to feed the quill down to a scale). Adjusted it up from "unmeasurable" (kicked off with <5lbs) and got it to max out about 60-70lbs. that's with the spring fully compressed in coil bind, though.

teeth are a little beat up, but dont look horrible. I could do 200+ with the quill lever without issue, and I can see the clutch being the disengagement point.

any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_3072.JPG
    IMG_3072.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3073.JPG
    IMG_3073.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3069.JPG
    IMG_3069.JPG
    427.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3070.JPG
    IMG_3070.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3071.JPG
    IMG_3071.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 6
I'm thinking it looks like clutch and gear time. I backed the spring out completely and shimmed the lever for testing, and was able to get the _occasional_ engagement around 220 (didnt try to adjust back down), with a lot more frequent releases at 60-100lbs.

update: after a bunch of fiddling (and remembering to engage the feed to test it) I managed to get it to be pretty consistent above 160lbs, and sometimes 260+ (my scale stops at 260). The induma manual specifies 350lbs now that I know where to look.

the bracket that holds the end of the of the arm (different than the built in bracket on the bridgeport cover) is pretty abused, and might be part of the problem. I might order a BP cover and arm assembly (different angles) at some point.....

Attachments

• IMG_3076.JPG
    IMG_3076.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3077.JPG
    IMG_3077.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Is there a spec on the spring strength on the quill feed clutch? A weak spring would give the symptoms you describe. X number of pounds at a given extension length. Someone could have replaced the spring with a weaker one, too.

If you do FaceBook, there is an Induma site for an additional resource:

Ted

Is there a spec on the spring strength on the quill feed clutch? A weak spring would give the symptoms you describe. X number of pounds at a given extension length. Someone could have replaced the spring with a weaker one, too.

Not in any of the documentation I've found - best I have is this, which is worded similarly to the BP service manual:

Power feed should be used for boring and drilling up to 3/8" diameter drills.
Use manual feed for anything over 3/8".
Overload clutch is set at factory to hold up to 350 Lbs. down pressure on quill, which will accomodate drills up to 3/8" diameter.Caution: this clutch should not be tapered with in the field.

And thanks Ted - I'm a member, but it's a pretty small group. :)

Looks like the gear teeth could use a good cleaning & check for fit-up. The spacer may be too thick.

Back