My first mistake on my new to me mill

I made the mistake of leaving the box wrench on the drawbar and turning the will on. Scared the hell out of me. Took me a while to get the drawbar loose and a nice dent in the motor. Now I look twice before I turn on the mill after a tool change.

In High School machine shop we all had our own 13 inch South Bend lathe with the push button controls for on, off, and reverse. The kid assigned to the lathe behind me accidentally hit the reverse button instead of the stop button. The lathe reversed so quickly the chuck unthreaded and came of and crashed onto the ways. The same kid spent all period cross threading a face plate onto the spindle. I spent the rest of the year looking over my shoulder to see what he was up to.

Roger L

When I first started working as a Machinist around 1980, I commented to my supervisor that the workforce was uncommonly smart. He just smiled a rueful and tolerant smile and said "Machining is one of those fields where the stupid take themselves out of the workforce within a year. I hope you are still around next year".

You don't see this kind of self-limiting feature among bankers, accountants, lawyers and politicians.

When I first started working as a Machinist around 1980, I commented to my supervisor that the workforce was uncommonly smart. He just smiled a rueful and tolerant smile and said "Machining is one of those fields where the stupid take themselves out of the workforce within a year. I hope you are still around next year".

You don't see this kind of self-limiting feature among bankers, accountants, lawyers and politicians.
Damn, wish that were true in all jobs.

Priceless! Thanks for sharing. Did the handle on the ratchet handle spin or did you just get the sound of it ratcheting. I can just see myself doing the same thing and thinking "where the heck did that sound come from.... what did break?"

High school hippie kid tearing his scalp off with drill press- now there's a sight. Didn't see it though, heard about it
-M
I saw it on the day it happened. We were in the same shop class. When he returned later in the week, his hat would cover the 50 cent piece sized hole in his scalp, but we all could see the black eye he got when his face got smashed on the quill.

Yeah, +1. That's what we had available to us.
That's why I bought this in 2017>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

View attachment 387848
Jeff:
That lathe looks to be identical to the lathe I have. My lathe is a 11" South Bend with the 1 5/8-8 spindle thread. I wish my lathe had the headstock with the larger spindle.

Roger L

Priceless! Thanks for sharing. Did the handle on the ratchet handle spin or did you just get the sound of it ratcheting. I can just see myself doing the same thing and thinking "where the heck did that sound come from.... what did break?"
Just the sound of the ratchet clicking. I turned it on and off twice trying to figure out what it was. Finally looked up and saw the end of the handle sticking out.

Back