My first non machining related job will be done tomorrow !

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I got on that website Nextdoor the other evening and introduced myself and what handyman jobs I could do . Within an hour I had 2 responses . I met up with one of the guys who responded yesterday and we settled on a price for what he wanted done . $250 cash . The job . Cut two small DEAD pine trees down and haul them away . I told my son and daughter if they wanted to make some easy quick cash , they could help me . With there help , I figure this job will take 15 minutes . Best part is , I'll be having another bonfire tomorrow night with the wood . If it's this easy to make a few bucks , I WILL be retiring very very soon . :encourage:

That kind of work can pay very well by the hour. The question is always how many hours can you get. Been doing it for the last 20 years repairing computers (more recently smart phones and TVs). I like the flexibility, but the cash flow can be very irregular. Social Security stabilized life a lot.

Sounds like a good thing. If it was me I’d be asking myself what kind of liability I’m willing to risk.

Smart thing to do would be getting some sort of insurance policy that would cover anything going sideways. Talk with your agent, it might be easy or not but finding out when someone (or their insurance company) takes you to court won’t be a good thing.

John

Sounds like a good thing. If it was me I’d be asking myself what kind of liability I’m willing to risk.

Smart thing to do would be getting some sort of insurance policy that would cover anything going sideways. Talk with your agent, it might be easy or not but finding out when someone (or their insurance company) takes you to court won’t be a good thing.

John
In today's world, I would strongly suggest an insurance policy. Today folks will take you to court over anything. I mow grass for some folks NO CHARGE but ask them to sign a statement to protect me in case something goes wrong and I damage their property. Just my opinion.

John

Correct. Doesn't matter what the customer says, their insurance company could care less.

A lot depends on the size of the trees and proximity to buildings, power lines, etc. I cut a lot of trees in my lifetime, some pushing 80' tall but around the buildings, I hire a professional with liability insurance. Trees have a nasty way of going exactly where you don't want them to.

Liability insurance when you hire yourself out is expensive. If I were helping a friend or neighbor out, it would be no charge. After the job was done without incident and they offered me some compensation, that would be a different matter.

From the other side of the coin, I don't ask friends or neighbors for favors that could possibly result in their injury. If I am hiring someone, the liability is theirs, not mine. Sad to say, but that's the world we live in.

The whole liability/insurance headache aside, there is something really good about getting up in the morning and deciding what you want to do with your day. Go earn some money, stay home and work on projects, or take off and go visit/travel. After so many years, any full time job, no matter how varied or challenging, gets to be drudgery.

The whole liability/insurance headache aside, there is something really good about getting up in the morning and deciding what you want to do with your day. Go earn some money, stay home and work on projects, or take off and go visit/travel. After so many years, any full time job, no matter how varied or challenging, gets to be drudgery.

I've been self employed for about 25 years and love it. 10 employees so I work when I'm needed, other than lots of office work.

Back