My first non machining related job will be done tomorrow !

I still keep busy with small engines, air compressors, lawn tractors, contractors' equipment, machine work, and welding. Just about finished tricking out a golf cart with audio, strobe lights, 6 inch lift, and frame repair. I'm 79 and spend 6/8 hours daily in the shop. Lots of fun and a little beer money. But the good part is I work when and if I want, tell me you wanted it yesterday you better be a real good friend.

Haopy it went well. I am just thinking if I paid $250 for 15 minutes of work, i probably would not call again.

Haopy it went well. I am just thinking if I paid $250 for 15 minutes of work, i probably would not call again.
Actually , it was 2.5 hours X 2 because my son helped me . The actual time it took to cut and limb the trees was about 1/2 hour . 2 trips over and back for loading and dumping . No time charged for disposal because I burned them in the pit . Still , I feel I did OK and my son made out well as I split it with him .

After so many years, any full time job, no matter how varied or challenging, gets to be drudgery.
Seven! I think seven years is the tipping point. Hmmm...yep...seven. That's all the longer I've ever made it with one company.

I am just thinking if I paid $250 for 15 minutes of work, i probably would not call again.

We know it took longer now, but I don't think that's what the client paid for. He paid for a person to solve his problem. In my mind, regardless of time, the problem was solved for 250 dollars. For perspective, I paid $2000 dollars for 8 hours of work. But the problem of a 100+ year old oak tree ruining my roof and foundation was solved. Along with all the clean up snd disposal. Best deal of the year afaic.

We paid $2500 for two hours of work to remove two 60' trees , one with a 20 ft. split that was growing as we watched and the other leaning on it. They wee leaning both towards the house and and over the L.P. tank. The arborist came within an hour and dissected the trees from the top down with his 70' boom truck. We paid for his equipment and his knowledge and his ability and willingness to come on short notice. Had we quibbled about the cost, there was a very good chance we would have had serious damage to the house within a day, not to mention a ruptured L.P. tank and possible explosion. Money well spent.

Later that year, we had a neighbor who does various jobs and who is insured rent a cherry picker and remove some trees from the yard which were threatening my forge and overhead electrical service line to same. We paid $600 for his services, again money well spent.

Earlier this year, the wife and I cut down six trees in preparation for erecting a greenhouse. No threat to any structures, just a couple of days of hard work. I have more than sufficient experience to properly fell trees and do so without reservation provided there isn't a risk for damage to property or person.

I would not take any risky jobs at this point , more bottom picking only . I would rather be grinding stumps on the Kubota but I'll take whatever I feel comfortable with . There was no danger involved with this past job . I would like to keep it this way . :)

Definitely hurts but money well spent. Peanuts compared to the imminent alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually , it was 2.5 hours X 2 because my son helped me . The actual time it took to cut and limb the trees was about 1/2 hour . 2 trips over and back for loading and dumping . No time charged for disposal because I burned them in the pit . Still , I feel I did OK and my son made out well as I split it with him

OK, now that sounds good. When can you swing by my place? :)

Back