My little 7x14 is now ready to be cleaned, fettled and the rest

Well, you live in a country where the law requires lights in the bathroom to be switched with a pull-chain out of fear of touching a wall switch with wet hands, so call me gullible!
We certainly do, probably a little silly. I rather like pull cords though, they have an odd sort of charm. ;)

And hardly gullible; There must be loads of US references that we Brits foolishly fail to get, and a ton of misunderstandings about US culture and perspectives. :)

You can use silver (and other colors) sharpie dry... paint on, dry, then look at where it gets scraped off
I hope the enjoyment/learning to "#%^" ratio is still on the smiling side!

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

You can use silver (and other colors) sharpie dry... paint on, dry, then look at where it gets scraped off
I hope the enjoyment/learning to "#%^" ratio is still on the smiling side!

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
Oh, I'm loving it. :)

I have now completed the reassembly:

20231125_193029.jpg

Now just need to do bed levelling, head and tailstock alignment (RDM will be the ticket here).

Before that though, I'm going to just bolt the lathe down and have a bit of a play; make some chips and turn some stock into scrap. :D

Oh and here are some more pictures of my now tidier workspace:

20231125_193008.jpg
20231125_192933.jpg

I expect I'll be asking more questions (some of them even deserving of answers :D ) but for now I'll be re-watching various YouTube videos; Blondihacks has a good lathe skills series that I've watched previously and there's Frank Hoose's mini lathe videos too. If anybody has any good suggestions for tutorial series then feel free to speak up.

I have a good few books too (including the South Bend manual from '64, which I found on eBay for pretty cheap).

Going through this process has definitely taught me a fair bit and I've got a lot of enjoyment from it. I reckon everyone should buy a mini-lathe and do a rebuild/fettle job. :D

Lyle Petersen, aka Mr. Pete, aka Tubalcain was a high school shop teacher and has hundreds of youtube videos to watch. I prefer books, though. The South Bend manual is one of the better ones. Poke through the downloads section, there are a lot of good pdf files there.

Lyle Petersen, aka Mr. Pete, aka Tubalcain was a high school shop teacher and has hundreds of youtube videos to watch. I prefer books, though. The South Bend manual is one of the better ones. Poke through the downloads section, there are a lot of good pdf files there.
I've been subscribed to Mr Pete for a while. He's great and I've had several binge watch sessions :)

And books, yep, I've had my head in books since I was three (both fiction and nonfiction) and I've been reading plenty around the subject. :)

I have now completed the reassembly:

View attachment 468117

Now just need to do bed levelling, head and tailstock alignment (RDM will be the ticket here).

Before that though, I'm going to just bolt the lathe down and have a bit of a play; make some chips and turn some stock into scrap. :D

Oh and here are some more pictures of my now tidier workspace:

View attachment 468123
View attachment 468124

I expect I'll be asking more questions (some of them even deserving of answers :D ) but for now I'll be re-watching various YouTube videos; Blondihacks has a good lathe skills series that I've watched previously and there's Frank Hoose's mini lathe videos too. If anybody has any good suggestions for tutorial series then feel free to speak up.

I have a good few books too (including the South Bend manual from '64, which I found on eBay for pretty cheap).

Going through this process has definitely taught me a fair bit and I've got a lot of enjoyment from it. I reckon everyone should buy a mini-lathe and do a rebuild/fettle job. :D
Nice little shop you have going there.

Not sure if you have seen this, but you are not done, I'm not sure I'm ever done.

Id like to buy a lathe similar to yours just for the challenge of getting it up tp my standards. Not really even sure what my standards are that is. Every time I think I'm done I heave another idea needing to be brought to life.

@pontiac428

I was being silly for the purposes of humour. :D

Gear marking compound hasn't been banned in the UK, but for some reason it's just not easily available over here.

There's a (fairly innacurate) caricature of old, traditional English companies being stick-in-the-mud and resistant to change, especially northern UK companies.

My joke was that one such company, like the one making the engineer's marking blue that I have, might lobby to stop foreign 'fancy' products that competed with their offerings.

I think the joke is probably easy to spot if one is a Brit (or possibly an Aussie or a Kiwi) but since the US generally has always had a strong cultural aversion to, or even horror of, the stifling of technical innovation, the joke may not work as well for you chaps. ;)

Kinda regret making the joke now. :D

Anyway, I have a load of Dyekem marker pens heading my way in lots of colours, so, when I need to check the mating of parts of whatever surface colour, I'll hopefully be reasonably well equipped.
My answer to Dyechem is these, they last well and do a good job of applying the stuff. Refillable Markers

Just to make sure you get deep enough into the rabbit hole, you really "need" a milling machine as the next step.
Not yet, besides I got a milling attachment as part of the deal.

English hobby model engineers managed well enough before the advent of affordable bench top mills. ;)

Back