My little 7x14 is now ready to be cleaned, fettled and the rest

Not yet, besides I got a milling attachment as part of the deal.

English hobby model engineers managed well enough before the advent of affordable bench top mills. ;)
That is a very defeatist attitude.

I have doubles of both machines (lathe and mill) and I’m currently contemplating asking the minister of finance to loan me half of what I need for another lathe.

One of us is broken in the head mate.

That is a very defeatist attitude.

I have doubles of both machines (lathe and mill) and I’m currently contemplating asking the minister of finance to loan me half of what I need for another lathe.

One of us is broken in the head mate.
Oh it'll come in time. I just need to recover from the finacial hit of discovering machining and having to replace my knackered old 1 Series (that moment when you realise the cost of repairs will be greater than the car is worth, is never a good one; and sadly, it appears the bloody car thieves around here are way too picky to steal my 2014 plate BMW, even for a joyride and a burning).

I stumbled on this thread https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/rotex-rm-1-rebuild-kind-of.95019/page-9#post-1085337 and I have no idea of the functional quality of this model.of mill and to be fair I doubt I'd find one in the UK but there's definitely something about the shape of it that makes me want one. :D

Oh it'll come in time. I just need to recover from the finacial hit of discovering machining and having to replace my knackered old 1 Series (that moment when you realise the cost of repairs will be greater than the car is worth, is never a good one; and sadly, it appears the bloody car thieves around here are way too picky to steal my 2014 plate BMW, even for a joyride and a burning).

I stumbled on this thread https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/rotex-rm-1-rebuild-kind-of.95019/page-9#post-1085337 and I have no idea of the functional quality of this model.of mill and to be fair I doubt I'd find one in the UK but there's definitely something about the shape of it that makes me want one. :D
I’d come steal your car if I were closer, but I draw the line at casual arson.

Yeah the buy in costs are steep, but once you get established initially the tools and some tooling cross over pretty well.

Best bet is to have a plan of your end goals and make your purchases for tooling and tools with that in mind.

Example, a guy here asked how he did with his initial tool purchase. He did “OK” but he doubled up on some tools that can serve dual purposes.

Had he asked before purchasing I could have saved him 15-20% of his outlay by cutting out redundancy’s.

Back