My LMS 5500 (SIEG XS2.7) -- History and Current Problem

CraigH

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have never been impressed with this machine. From the beginning its capabilities and abilities were rather meager IMO. After having it for a while and suffering issues with traversing to full right, I pulled the X-axis leadscrew out (my first learning experience with a mill) to discover the threads buggered up. The leadscrew was replaced, but never really solved the problems.

I discovered the excellent post here by Clif123 showing disassembled X a Y axis parts. And later in the topic, of punching out the X-axis endcap locating pins. I then did this to good, but not great, effect. So I also punched out the locating pins on the lock block, but this made adjustment even more tricky. So I reinstalled one of the lock block pins as the factory sort of peened one of the pins and the lock block. I got the full right traverse into serviceable but not great condition IMO.

I had a perception for some time that the tram was out, but had never really addressed the issue. Last week I made the simple attachment to check this and sure enough, it was out 0.005” left to right. After some time of fiddling with it, I got it with a DI (not DTI) and interpolating its readings, to; LR 0.000, LF 0.0002, RR 0.000, RF 0.000.

Now the current problem:

I have always noted some noise when milling on the edge of material (conventional not climb milling) which has increased. This has also been the case using slitting saws, and became worse in the last few days. It is a clunking or perhaps more accurately stated, knocking sound. It can be duplicated by turning the spindle back and forth by hand.

I am not very enthused about taking the machine apart. But I took off the top cover, and discovered this cover to probably be the most impressive part of the entire machine. It is a 7.718 pound iron casting with ¼ inch walls that support absolutely nothing. It could as well been a sheet metal stamping or plastic cover, and apply the weight to important parts (like I only today read, the open rear column).

Under the cover is a rather dirty driven toothed spindle pulley and a pretty loose toothed belt. The noise I discovered by hand turning the spindle back and forth seems to be the driven pulley against a splined shaft. There is about 1/32” play (measured at the pulley perimeter) to that interface – except when the spindle is fully down.

A slitting saw test cut with the belt completely tight and the spindle fully down reveals more capability (up from 0.015” to 0.030” cut) but still some knocking, albeit less.

The mill was delivered with a very poor generic manual – not an LMS manual, and parts in the manual compared to on the LMS website requires a bit of interpretation. But the spindle pulley is $50 and the spindle is $100! But is that the problem?

Checking the bottom of the spindle runout, turning by hand showed absolutely no runout on the DI – not even a quiver of the needle. Applying force to the bottom of the spindle, in both the X and Y axis directions in turn, displays ~ 0.003” to 0.0035” each with a tenancy to hold close to half that until touched again. Applying force to the lower part of the spindle while reading the upper spline of the spindle gives about 0.004” deflection on the Y axis and about 0.005” deflection on the X axis.

Perhaps the upper ball bearing, or other bearing? Or just everything. Drawings show three bearing, all different. And are these bearings pressed on as with the mini-lathe?

Thank you, if choosing to endure this, for your patience, and any insights that may be provided.

Attachments

• MillSpindle.jpg
    MillSpindle.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 68
Good luck with it...

The more I look at the spindle spline, the more I think the entire thing is scrap.

Been looking a some SX2.7 and SX3 modding for CNC, and some spindle rebuild information at arceurotrade - their rebuild instructions suggest it is non-trivial.

Have you checked your spindle bearing preload? Normally, your bearings should have a slight positive preload remove axial and radial play. A typical adjustment procedure is to tighten the spindle nut firmly to ensure good contact a squeeze out any grease in the bearing and play is removed. Then back off the spindle nut and retighten until snug and tighten x amount further for a preload. x is usually stated in the user manual but will be something like 1/8th or less of a turn. Bearings should run warm to the touch but not so hot that you can't hold your hand on the spindle.

Another indication of loose bearings is that you will have end play on the spindle. Lock the quill and use your dial indicator on the spindle face to check.

I placed the DI topside and pushed up at the bottom. Also, with a piece of Al on the vise, used the Z-axis to load the spindle.

Absolutely no effect on the DI.

Thanks for the suggestion.

With the previous test of spindle runout being flawless, the bearing are probably fine - but always a possibility.

Last edited:
I have a fixed-spindle SX2 (no quill) so can't offer much assistance other than to note that your photo of the top of the splined pulley shows a lot of debris on it. Maybe some got into the spline and is causing problems?

Replacing the spindle on these machines doesn't require a press, it can be done with a length of all-thread, a couple of nuts and washers and spacers/pipes with the right OD's. I took that approach when I replaced the bearings on my 7x12 mini lathe. It did take a bit of time to figure it all out, but it was the first time I'd ever done that kind of an operation. Since then I've replaced the motor bearings on a large house fan, and that was pretty easy by comparison.

But you probably want to contact LMS to see what they have to say before you jump in with both feet. Maybe there's something else going on that is a lot easier to fix.

Thank you for the reply.

The arceurotrade disassemble and assembly instructions (text and images) show some specific issues. I measured a 0.050" gap between the sleeve and the spindle which precludes easily getting the spindle out of the sleeve. In fact the arceurotrade service will machine down the spindle OD for easy of subsequent serving of the bearings. They also mention the poor quality factory grease.

The debris is "factory installed". LMS is clueless (two techs) and can only suggest replacing the spindle pulley.

I pulled the pulley/bearing/retainer assembly off the mill head and after removing the inner of two circlips, pressed the pulley out of the bearing. I am wondering if the belt may have been jumping teeth due the to previously mentioned looseness.

After some searching and cross-referencing, I found the pulley on the grizzly website for their discontinued G0619 SX3 is the same part. But the belt is different - longer - unfortunate as nearly half the price of LMS.

I am ordering the pulley and circlip from grizzly. I will clean the spindle splines in-situ as best I can, grease it, and install a new pulley.

And see what results.

Been doing some comparison shopping. I mentioned somewhere above the spindle radial runout to be superb, and thought the bearings to be good.

I saw this on the LMS 5500 (now renamed 6500) features:
  • NSK brand Japanese-quality spindle bearings
The bearing in my 5500 spindle-pulley/bearing/retaining-block are made in Japan.

No, I am most definitely not in the market for another LMS mil. 8^|

Let us know how it works out. It sounds like you are fully capable of replacing the bearings if you find it necessary. If so, you may want to consider angular contact bearings instead of the OEM deep groove ones. AC bearings come in the same thickness (as opposed to tapered roller bearings) so they're basically a drop-in. Due to various reasons/concerns I went with tapered roller bearings on my mini lathe and find them to be noisier than the original bearings. Something to consider.

I also went with tapered roller bearings on the mini-lathe. Mainly due to installation considerations. Bearing manufacturers specifically warn against typical pressing on when installing angular contact bearings. I considered all manner of heating and cooling of components (bearings, spindle, headstock) during different stages of the operations.

Back