My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

I thought putting bearings on the fingers was a bad idea?

I thought I saw that somewhere too, but don't remember why.

More photos...
IMG_6906.jpeg

IMG_6905.jpeg

IMG_6908.jpeg
IMG_6910.jpeg

IMG_6912.jpeg

IMG_6913.jpeg

IMG_6914.jpeg
IMG_6915.jpeg
IMG_6916.jpeg

I bought the owners manual but can’t seem to be able to download, email sent to Logan…

The leather belt is fairly new (I have the receipt from 2020).

Motor is not original…or at least the pulley is not... as it is running with a v-pulley on the motor and flat on the top...

IMG_6932.jpeg

Also, it runs only in one direction…does not matter if the switch is in forward or reverse…

IMG_6929.jpeg

IMG_6924.jpeg
IMG_6928.jpeg

IMG_6917.jpeg
IMG_6918.jpeg

So a lot of cleaning and sorting out the wiring…

I think you will be happy with your new lathe. There is some spirited debate on whether a Logan is better than a South Bend, but they are certainly a step above Atlas.

Scott Logan is an amazing resource for these lathes and from my understanding the main reason there is still support is simply because they have the Logan family name on them. All the real money came from some widget invented for elevators.

Not cheap but you can still get almost any part needed to keep a Logan running from Logan actuator which is not often the case for very vintage machines.

Well... goes to show you that I know nothing about these lathes... Double pulley is there and it is the correct setup... v-belt pulley in the bottom and the top pulley is flat. I just found it weird that the top pulley was not a v-pulley as well...

IMG_6937.jpeg

I think you will be happy with your new lathe. There is some spirited debate on whether a Logan is better than a South Bend, but they are certainly a step above Atlas.

Scott Logan is an amazing resource for these lathes and from my understanding the main reason there is still support is simply because they have the Logan family name on them. All the real money came from some widget invented for elevators.

Not cheap but you can still get almost any part needed to keep a Logan running from Logan actuator which is not often the case for very vintage machines.
@Aaron_W you have no idea how excited I am to have been able to find this lathe... specially for the price. I am really looking forward to using it. But first I need to make it look good first. I am shallow like that, so :p:D

I have been reading threads in the yahoo groups... and watching videos, and looking at the parts diagram, and going over the lathe with the diagrams to check what is what...

I did had an exchange with Scott Logan when I was looking at that turret lathe (I did not know at the time what that was...)...

I want to make sure that I inspect everything to determine if anything needs replacing so that I can get the parts as soon as possible...

Looks like, so far, all I need to do is wire the lathe properly... that is it. Maybe, as I take it apart to clean, recondition and paint, I might find something needing attention...

Anyway, I just finished installing the belt cover, hinges, lever, etc. Belt tensioning working fine.

Wiring next to get it running again... it was partially hardwired at the previous owner's garage... so we had to cut the wiring to get it out. I want to have it with normal plug so it can be easily disconnected. At some point I need to move it to Ocala.

Last edited:
Back