My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

Well... goes to show you that I know nothing about these lathes... Double pulley is there and it is the correct setup... v-belt pulley in the bottom and the top pulley is flat. I just found it weird that the top pulley was not a v-pulley as well...

View attachment 414179
That is the way SB did it.

Love those table legs!! Congratulations! :clapping:
Congratulations Jaime, Looks like a cool lathe!

Thank you!

Now to decide what color to paint it... I like the color I used for the Walker-Turner tools... might go with that since I got a case of paint left...

Color for lathe.jpeg

IMG_3515.jpeg

And still trying to figure out what this part is... might be from something else, but it has the same color as the lathe...

Mistery part -1.jpg

Mistery part -2.jpg

The Delta wood lathe, I should sell it as well if I do not develop a thing for working with wood... but it just looks like art...
my brother has a 4k ft wood shop. his wood lathe has been sitting in a corner for many years - unused

my brother has a 4k ft wood shop. his wood lathe has been sitting in a corner for many years - unused
I talked it over with my wife... I thought she was going to have a fit when I arrived home with another lathe (two in less than a week)... but I told her that I was done... finally found what I was looking for with this Logan. No more buying lathes, mills, etc.

To my surprise, she was fine... told me that she did not wanted me to get rid of stuff that gave me joy... I even mentioned the possibility of selling the wood lathe after it was done and her response was "but how are you going to make me the bowls that that I want?" So I guess the wood lathe is staying...

No pressure even in getting rid of the 9x20 lathe... so I was stressing for nothing... Life is good...

Since I will take it apart to clean and paint... figured I would refresh a few things... like replacing both headstock bearings... I was not prepared for what one of these costs... yikes. Several threads in the subject, so not planning to make another one... I will reference just one:

I was able to buy a new 77507 New Departure single row ball bearing (Part number 0670) for 25.00 shipped, but the other one, a double bearing (Part number 0671), is quite expensive at US$318.00

Logan 820 Headstock Diagram.JPG

ball-bearing-1.jpg

So does not look like I will be replacing that one... if it ever fails then I will fork over the money to Scott for a replacement...

Chuck is pretty stuck... ordered a strap wrench to try and free it...

Rigid Strap Wrench.jpg

I will also need a QCTP for it... wondering if I should stick with they style I have in the other lathes or give a Multifix Quick Change Tool Post a try...

Last edited:
Well... goes to show you that I know nothing about these lathes... Double pulley is there and it is the correct setup... v-belt pulley in the bottom and the top pulley is flat. I just found it weird that the top pulley was not a v-pulley as well...

View attachment 414179

I bought a South Bend 9" pulley set up to use with my 8-1/2" Rivett which uses flat belts. I thought I was going to have to convert the motor to flat belt when I found out SB did the same v- belt to flat belt set up saving me some hassle.

I talked it over with my wife... I thought she was going to have a fit when I arrived home with another lathe (two in less than a week)... but I told her that I was done... finally found what I was looking for with this Logan. No more buying lathes, mills, etc.

To my surprise, she was fine... told me that she did not wanted me to get rid of stuff that gave me joy... I even mentioned the possibility of selling the wood lathe after it was done and her response was "but how are you going to make me the bowls that that I want?" So I guess the wood lathe is staying...

No pressure even in getting rid of the 9x20 lathe... so I was stressing for nothing... Life is good...

My wife is the same. She did veto setting up the Rivett lathe in the living room (it is a very classy looking lathe), but as long as it stays in the basement she doesn't care what I get as long as I'm happy.

That bluish color on your drill press appears to be pretty close to the original Logan color. Looks sharp!

Your mystery part appears to be a cross slide. I’m not sure it’s for the Logan though. I’ve not seen that T slot configuration before. The Logan “production” cross slides that I’m familiar with have the T slots like on the illustration in CluelessNewB’s post above. They would either be lever actuated, as in the illustration, or have a nut for use with the standard cross slide screw.

I have a questions for those familiar with this lathe... This is what my apron looks like... Look at the clutch knob... it looks like nothing that I have seen in the videos or manual... ????

IMG_6864.jpeg

Last edited:
Back