My Metalshop/drafting projects - "Make Your Own Tools"

Oh the memories. I started a hammer while a tool and die apprentice and never finished it as Uncle Sam had other ideas. I just last week bought a Boyar Schultz SixTwelve surface grinder so I can finish it and a few other tools I was supposed to make. Hope I'm able to get it finished this time. Now all I need to do is find prints to the other tools. It was 1968. Thanks.

You mentioned drafting arms, does anyone else have a left hand drafting arm? I do. I still get it out every now an then. (just to show it off)
Got it from a friend who knew that I was left handed and he got it when his company got rid of such things when the digital age arrived.
We haveaeft hand vtrack big unit on large table, gotat estate sale.

Picked up right hand version at antique store on clearance... $5.00

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

just over a year ago I found a fully adjustable single arm drafting table - the kind that went from vert to horiz, from 24" from the ground to almost 48". It adjusts with a single locking lever It had a really nice faber castel drafting machine... It was in a thrift store; I think I paid 40 bucks for it...

Now all I have to d is find some brand new plastic scales for it with that steel dovetail on it....

just over a year ago I found a fully adjustable single arm drafting table - the kind that went from vert to horiz, from 24" from the ground to almost 48". It adjusts with a single locking lever It had a really nice faber castel drafting machine... It was in a thrift store; I think I paid 40 bucks for it...

Now all I have to d is find some brand new plastic scales for it with that steel dovetail on it....
I may have what u need, what do the dovetails look like? Better yet I’ll send or post pic’s, how’s that,

Golly, metal shop started in 7th grade and followed me through my senior year. Loved every minute of it.
We made the hammer, did some sheet metal work and soldering, foundry work in Intermediate school.
In High School I met my 13" South Bend, Bridgeport, arc welding, Oxy-Acy. welding too.
I made a work bench, a bench press, clutch-brake fulcrum assembly for a 1970 F100. A shift shift lever, a metal shear.
I don't remember using the Bridgeport much???
Many of the things I made I just can't seem to recall. It's been almost 50 years.
I was a TA in two classes in my senior year, they just started allowing girls in the classes.
I went to school in Pa, in the late 70's also. We had to pay for the metal we used, otherwise the class was not bad. I never worked in the field, but always enjoyed working with metal tools. I still have a hammer that I made. I started another that was going to be a ball peen, but couldn't get back on the lathe, so I only got the handle done. Someday I will run across it again (still have lots of stuff packed from several moves) and finish it.

View attachment 225004
We had to pay for materials also. The facilities and equipment were outstanding. This was Walnut Creek and Concord CA.
I don't imagine they have any more shops of any kind now. You know. vocations are obsolete and all. :) =Bless them for they not know what they do

My first high school was Lane Technical School, in Chicago. A large school they had about every shop you could think of. A great preparatory school for college or profession. Mechanical drawing gave me the opportunity to plan and draw objects. Lots of good help but you will rue the day you had to produce a clean, ink drawn print. My heart goes out to the draftsmen and women I knew who made a living drafting until their eyes gave out. Plus the print checkers and engineers relying on their judgement and experience to correctly produce what was drawn. Geez...........

Anyway I have copied projects I worked to make your own tools and gauges. They are easy regarding precision and will allow you to learn new things.
BB

View attachment 63677 View attachment 63678 View attachment 63679 View attachment 63680 View attachment 63681 View attachment 63682 View attachment 63683 View attachment 63684 View attachment 63685
Thank you B. Bob. I downloaded them. My grand son will need to learn how to read the print. My grand daughter too for that matter, if her mother will let her in my shop. My son will :)

Golly, metal shop started in 7th grade and followed me through my senior year. Loved every minute of it.
We made the hammer, did some sheet metal work and soldering, foundry work in Intermediate school.
In High School I met my 13" South Bend, Bridgeport, arc welding, Oxy-Acy. welding too.
I made a work bench, a bench press, clutch-brake fulcrum assembly for a 1970 F100. A shift shift lever, a metal shear.
I don't remember using the Bridgeport much???
Many of the things I made I just can't seem to recall. It's been almost 50 years.
I was a TA in two classes in my senior year, they just started allowing girls in the classes.

We had to pay for materials also. The facilities and equipment were outstanding. This was Walnut Creek and Concord CA.
I don't imagine they have any more shops of any kind now. You know. vocations are obsolete and all. :) =Bless them for they not know what they do
That's not uncommon even at the technical school level. Several years ago I took some classes at our local technical college so I could assess their surface grinders. The "tuition" was about $70.00 for a semester, but if you took a class in the "machine tool curriculum" they added another $300.00 for "tooling and supplies".

if you took a class in the "machine tool curriculum"
I haven't looked but I wouldn't be surprised if machining courses were even available in our area.
We do have Chico State University and a community college that specializes in welding, nursing and Ag classes.
They probably do have some equipment out at the community college come to think of it.
Maybe when I retire I'll look into taking some classes.

I just realized this thread started in 2013.

I may have what u need, what do the dovetails look like? Better yet I’ll send or post pic’s, how’s that,

@frankly2 I can post a photo or 2 as well (as soon as our deep freeze warms up a bit).

Back