• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

My Miller Diversion 180 First tryout

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
It has been many years since High School, Ygnacio Valley High. School graduated in 1975. Mr Wade had me for 3 classes per day as a Teachers Aid.
Arc welding and oxy acetylene were the only two methods we had, to join metal.
I spent some time watching YouTube to get some exposure to MIG and TIG. TIG is a very versatile method to join ste el, aluminum, stainless steel, magnesium, etc.
I purchased a Miller Diversion 180.
Once I dial in the amps and maintain some consistency I feel very confident I will be able to produce some quality welding projects.
Se e pics of my first day, I dipped the tungsten more than once. Regrinding tungsten will be second nature in no time. Overall, I feel pretty good considering I have not joined metal since 1986.

Attachments

markba633csi

3rd pic looks decent- keep practicing
My stick welds are not even as good as those- yet
Mark

Janderso

I was practicing on 1/8 steel. I cleaned off most of the scale. Everything I read about TIG welding was cleanliness!
The Diversion 180 has amp range settings or zones for steel/aluminum. I started out at the mid-range 100- 105 amps for 1/8 steel. Too hot!
I dialed it down to about 75-80, that seemed to give me a more controllable heat range.
This is quite a bit like oxy-acetylene welding. I just need to practice.

[6]
[5] [7]