My near 68 year old USAF project

Yes, 1954 built in LA assigned to Edwards AFB. Mogas receipts show overseas service, Should add was a factory automatic tranny

Very nice work! My avatar is also a '54. Totally different kind of modifications from yours, but I definitely appreciate your fine craftsmanship. Mine has Firebird suspension front and rear, 700R4/AC/PS/PDB/etc. I dropped a built 350 in mine but didn't like it. I replaced it with a 4.3 V6 that I built. Had a heck of a time finding a 4bbl intake and headers, but they're out there. It turned out very nice. I also put a 700R4 transmission. Steel bed came out of a Ford Ranger - practically a perfect fit.

Where's your fuel tank?

Regards,
Terry

Oh, and a giant THANK YOU for your service.

The 1984 k-10 donor chassis has tank under the rear frame. I added a larger tank. a secondary electric pump and soon a tank shield.

I retired as an engineer with expertise in hydrocarbon/gas monitoring equipment. Tested many in cab tanks using a hand held, volitile organic airborne tester with .10 ppm detection. Calibrated for benzene (primary gasolene component and well known human carcinogen) results were scary. Even with all brand new components in cabs leak vapors. Most leaked well above the absurdly high 1 ppm exposure limit. They now sell inexpensive versions of these meters on ebay so heads up

The 1984 k-10 donor chassis has tank under the rear frame. I added a larger tank. a secondary electric pump and soon a tank shield.

I retired as an engineer with expertise in hydrocarbon/gas monitoring equipment. Tested many in cab tanks using a hand held, volitile organic airborne tester with .10 ppm detection. Calibrated for benzene (primary gasolene component and well known human carcinogen) results were scary. Even with all brand new components in cabs leak vapors. Most leaked well above the absurdly high 1 ppm exposure limit. They now sell inexpensive versions of these meters on ebay so heads up
I hear you. I fabricated brackets to mount an aftermarket tank behind the rear-end. I modified a steering wheel bezel so that the filler neck is on the rear bumper, and converted to an electric fuel pump. No issues.

Where'd you put your filler neck?

Smart to move it. Been around gasoline my entire life and didn't know how bad it was until getting a MS in Toxicology from UC DAvis. Amazing how the petroleum industry buried the hazards all this time. (and continue to do so). In any case the filler neck is now at the rear of the drivers side fender just above the taillight per the pic. Set it up so can rest the nozzle while filling as getting weak hands. Formed a stock 84 k10 filler hose and breather and altered frame to fit. Very handy and not like a PITA in bed filler.

Attachments

• 20180120_112455.jpg
    20180120_112455.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Smart to move it. Been around gasoline my entire life and didn't know how bad it was until getting a MS in Toxicology from UC DAvis. Amazing how the petroleum industry buried the hazards all this time. (and continue to do so). In any case the filler neck is now at the rear of the drivers side fender just above the taillight per the pic. Set it up so can rest the nozzle while filling as getting weak hands. Formed a stock 84 k10 filler hose and breather and altered frame to fit. Very handy and not like a PITA in bed filler.
Nice. Mine is very similar but on the other side. Filler on the tank was on the right side.

111225-1.JPG
111225-2.JPG

Regards,
Terry

Where did you get the trim ring? looks great.
It was a billet aluminum bezel from a Grant aftermarket steering wheel. Somehow I managed to have an extra one, and I realized by machining about a sixteenth of an inch out of the center, the filler neck would tightly slide into it.

I was as surprised as anyone as to how nicely it turned out. Most people think it was actually made as a filler neck bezel.

Regards,
Terry

Back