My New 1340GT

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Received word from Ray that the lathes are being prepped, so put the check in the mail. Check hit this morning, and received the 'Paid in Full' invoice from Ray last night. Just waiting on the tracking number...

:impatient:

That's awesome, can't wait to see when you get it! :thumbsup2:

Not going to try and outdo Mike on his excellent review of his 1340, but I'll post some pics and impressions once I get it. Will be busy trying to figure out this 3ph/VFD wiring stuff for a bit, so don't ask for 'chips' right away. :)

EDIT: Does anyone happen to know the shipping weight on this thing?

Last edited:
No worries Mike. I never get sick of people posting their machines even if I am very familiar with them like my own machines. I don't think of them as reviews. I look at them as one's own personal experience with setup, usage, & mods (if any) so there's something that will always be different. And I'm sure those looking to buy like seeing more than just a review.

Not going to try and outdo Mike on his excellent review of his 1340, but I'll post some pics and impressions once I get it. Will be busy trying to figure out this 3ph/VFD wiring stuff for a bit, so don't ask for 'chips' right away. :)

Yeah, I received an Email from Ray... my check arrived and is in the bank. Awaiting a tracking number.

On the weight... webpage says around 1300# including the stand... the two cabinets come in a separate box. I would guess... the crate with the lathe is around 1200#~, depending on what accessories are in the crate.

Bill.... have you decided how you are going to do the wiring? As in which controls to add, subtract, modify, etc?
I am thinking to pretty much copy what Mike did with his... albeit the red stop button will be wired to a different pin on the VFD.. a 'quick stop' feature.

The only thing different... will be the DRO head and MachTach (probably mount it below the DRO), not sure where to put it on the lathe... thinking out of the top of the rear elec box.... somewhere so when I look up from the chuck, I see the DRO and tach... rather than looking up and to the side. At this point, I am thinking to put the VFD box on the lower left side (below the belt/gears), with the cooling fan blowing out the back.
I am open to thoughts on where to put the DRO and tach... if anyone has ideas... :thinking:

Yeah, I received an Email from Ray... my check arrived and is in the bank. Awaiting a tracking number.

On the weight... webpage says around 1300# including the stand... the two cabinets come in a separate box. I would guess... the crate with the lathe is around 1200#~, depending on what accessories are in the crate.

OK, thanks. Going to be right at what my big mill weighed.

You are welcome...

My 935 weighed in close to 1800#~ in a 48x48x72 tall crate... was a mess to get into the basement.

I may take the top off the lathe box outside and remove some of the weight... accessories and extra's from the crate. Will need to get it into the basement through a 36" walk through door, and over an aluminum threshold. Thinking to probably use two furniture carts (the rectangle frames with 4 heavy castors). That way, I can 'walk it' along and over the threshold...
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

You are welcome...

My 935 weighed in close to 1800#~ in a 48x48x72 tall crate... was a mess to get into the basement.

I may take the top off the lathe box outside and remove some of the weight... accessories and extra's from the crate. Will need to get it into the basement through a 36" walk through door, and over an aluminum threshold. Thinking to probably use two furniture carts (the rectangle frames with 4 heavy castors). That way, I can 'walk it' along and over the threshold...
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Can't help much here John, sorry. But I am impressed that you got that thing down a flight of stairs. My hat off to you Sir! ;)

That 1800lbs is one of the main reasons why I didn't get that thing. It's just more thing that I don't want to deal with. :)

Can't help much here John, sorry. But I am impressed that you got that thing down a flight of stairs. My hat off to you Sir! ;)

That 1800lbs is one of the main reasons why I didn't get that thing. It's just more thing that I don't want to deal with. :)

THX Bill... however it was not down stairs... the basement is a walk out... the driveway goes down into the back yard. Years ago, thought about converting the single door to a double door (french door), 5 ft wide.... never did.

The way to get a knee mill through a walk-thru door, is to remove the X table. Ray told me to do this... worked fine. The X table weighs over 100#, it took two of us to heft it back on.

Back