My "new" American Tool Works Lathe

If anyone's bothering to follow this, here's a picture to explain the situation.

I am following along! Congrats for the multiple small victories, keep 'em coming!
-brino

Okay, I won't be able to mount the pulley on the backside of the hub, hub center is way to large for the pulley. I might get away with just mounting hub and pulley on reverse of its current position, but that'll be a little tricky as the shaft is smaller and not machined on the outside. Or rather, machined with a hand grinder by the looks of it. o_O
But it still may be doable, but if not I'll check TSC again and see if their selection of hubs inspires me.

I made a few cuts on a piece of stock today, much better luck this time.

Here's how she's looking now:

ATW Freshend Up.jpg

Can you believe that new light fixture already had a tube fail? GE can't even make a light bulb anymore.

Can you believe that new light fixture already had a tube fail? GE can't even make a light bulb anymore.

Unfortunately I can believe it. Good 'ole incandescent were good (though heat wasteful), compact fluorescent were a joke on the consumer! (lower life and more toxic) I sure hope the price of LEDs comes down to something reasonable...

Keep the updates coming!
You should be very proud of the progress; it looks great! Congrats :encourage: keep it up!

-brino

I heard back from Burke regarding my serial number; they sent me a copy of the little info they have on microfilm. It identifies the lathe as a 1908 14" X 6' purchased by Gisholt Machine Co. I looked up Gisholt and they were in Madison Wisconsin. This old lathe sure traveled, Wisconsin to Northern California!
Funny thing is Gisholt made machinery, including lathes, but they had to buy from a competitor. Guess you need lathes to make lathes; which came first. ;)

Last edited:
I heard back from Burke regarding my serial number; they sent me a copy of the little info they have on microfilm. It identifies the lathe as a 1908 14" X 6' purchased by Gisholt Machine Co. I looked up Gisholt and they were in Madison Wisconsin. This old lathe sure traveled, Wisconsin to Northern California!
Funny thing is Gisholt made machinery, including lathes, but they had to buy from a competitor. Guess you need lathes to make lathes; which came first. ;)

Wow, looking good!

Small update. I couldn't use the old hub by flipping it around and I couldn't find one that would work; so I did the next logical thing, I bought another lathe and made one:

S6306037.JPG S6306038.JPG S6306040.JPG

It fits on nicely, I just haven't installed it yet, I want to use a set screw instead of a bolt like the old one.

Here's the new hub and pulley in place and working nicely. I have some other repairs going on I'll post about shortly.

S6306044.JPG

Hokay, here's what I got going on now; I have not been able to disengage the back gear from the cone drive of this lathe. Not that it's important right now since back gear is all I have, but I do plan to reinstall belt drive someday. I can loosen and slide the nut for the back gear, but it stays engaged.
Also, someone poured new babbit in this lathe at some time and did a poor job of shimming it so if I tighten the cap bolts on the inboard side of the spindle it locks the spindle; so snugging the bolts is the best I can do.
So this bad boy came off this evening:

S6306051.JPG

You can see in this pic why it wouldn't disengage, all this crud sticking the cones to the bull gear:

Inside Cone-head.jpg

Here's some informational pics for anyone else trying to figure out an old ATW lathe:

The backside of the bull gear and the lock followed by the T-bolt that is the lock:

BH Bullgear.jpg S6306066.JPG

Back gear engaged: (To the direct drive)
BG Engauged.jpg

Disengaged: (From the direct drive.)

BG Disenguaged.jpg

Hope that helps someone someday, not a lot of info out there on the ATW lathes so I'll add to the database when possible.

I have it cleaned, oiled, and reassembled, back gear goes in and out like it should, still working on the shim issue, but it was time to call it a night.

(Edited for clarification/correction, I realized that engaged TO the cones is for when it is in fact OUT of back gears.)

Last edited:
Back