My new G0463 Mill arrived and won't run.

How can they do that?
I would call or go see the Attorney General about them sending you 2 defective machines that would not run. Then trying to charge you a restocking fee after they had to repair them to make them functional.
I see that they said the first one had a bad board. Not something you could have even found let alone fix.
What was the problem with the 2nd one?
Have they even said?

How can they do that?
I would call or go see the Attorney General about them sending you 2 defective machines that would not run. Then trying to charge you a restocking fee after they had to repair them to make them functional.
I see that they said the first one had a bad board. Not something you could have even found let alone fix.
What was the problem with the 2nd one?
Have they even said?

I asked them that. They would not transfer me to their Tech. Department they just said that their was a note on the file that said that "they got the second machine running". I tried everything to get it to run when I had it. Breakers, different cords that worked fine on everything else other then the machine Grizzly sent to me. The second Mill was defective in the exact same way as the first machine that they sent. It ran for a few seconds and would not run again no matter what I tried. I took readings on the circuit board with a volt meter on the first machine when I had their Tech. guy on the phone and he told me the readings on the board's terminals were wrong and to return the Mill. I took readings at the same points that the Tech. guy asked me on the second machine and they were the same as the first machine. The first two terminals I read at 120 volts ac. The second two terminals just read gibberish which their Tech. said was wrong and to return the machine. The second machines readings were the exact same as the first. 122 volts ac, the second set of terminals was reading gibberish.

The problems with Customer Service started when I asked for my money back instead of a third machine. That is when their Customer Service Agent (name not posted) got rude and started loud talking on the phone.

I received an electronic deposit overnight minus $122.00 they deducted for shipping two defective machines and a defective table drive unit. I was not rude to any of the people I dealt with over the phone at Grizzly even though they flat out took my money for what I consider no good reason. Especially so when the Customer Service agent told me that I could not speak to the Tech. Support concerning the second defective machine and that they would just go by the note on the file. My final conclusion of this mess is that I upset them when I asked for my money to be returned rather then accepting another mill (the third). I sent two emails to their CS department last week describing how I was treated on the telephone and I have not received a reply.

If you paid by credit card, you should be able to have the charges reversed. Grizzly might complain about it but with all your documentation, I don't think they would get very far. It is a shame that you have had this experience. I have bought a number of machines and other high ticket items from them and have had good customer service for the relatively minor defects encountered. From their standpoint, they have lost a lot of money one this bad deal so one can understand their reluctance to make things right. It is the customer service part of their organization that should be pushing in your favor as it is their reputation which is at stake.
A few years ago, our company bought a 4" x 6" bandsaw from Enco. We were pleasantly surprised when we unpacked it to find an MSC label on it. We plugged it in and nothing happened. When we dug into it, we found that the two wires to the switch were connected to the same terminal. There definitely wasn't any final QC inspection there. We fixed the problem and I called Enco. They gave us a 10% discount when we next ordered. That was customer service.

We just now got off of the phone with Grizzly Customer Service (again). The beginning of last week we had spoken to Grizzly CS concerning the balance of $122.00 that Grizzly still has possession of. When we phoned in last week the same CS Agent that had been rude with us personally answered the call and was just as sweet as could be. We asked to be transferred to a Customer Service Supervisor. The CS asked us "Why we wanted to speak with someone other then her?". We told her that we had dealt with her previously and we preferred to conduct our business with a Customer Service Supervisor. She then transferred us to a Supervisor.

The new person that we spoke to said that she was a Customer Service Supervisor named ####. #### told us what an exceptionally nice person the CS Agent that we asked not to deal with was. Then we spoke to her concerning our business. #### gave us the run around for a few minutes then told us that they (Tech. Department) had gotten the second Mill that we returned running and that they kept it running for awhile and said that the second Mill was fine. We asked her to transfer us to the Technical Department that looked into our returned Mill and she said "That wasn't necessary and that we would just go by the note of the Mill being non-defective that the Technical Department had put on our file". After a few more minutes of discussion she told us that "she would enter a refund order from Grizzly to Pay Pal for the entire balance of ($122.00) what they had deducted from our original payment and that it would take up to 48 hours to be processed". This was the beginning of last week.

Pay Pal nor us received any word since then of the corrective action. We called Customer Service back a little while ago to inquire concerning what the hold up was. We were told by the Lady answering the phone that she is the Customer Service Manager and that we just happened to get her as she was helping out due to the large volume of incoming calls. We discussed our order with her and at first she was a bit unconcerned and told us that the proper amount had already been refunded. As we got into what had happened previously concerning our "Activity Number" on our order we found out a bit more information. One bit of information was that the second Mill that we had returned was also found to have a defective circuit board and that it was noted right there on our file! The next bit of information that we received is that there is no Customer Service Agent or Supervisor with the name that we were given of the person that we were transferred too. She then told us that her opinion was that we had been transferred to a man in the office with a similar name, we told her "no, that was not the case and that we were tarnsfered to a women named ####. We also found out that there was NO order on our file that refunded our $122.00 thru Pay Pal.

Now we our told by the Lady we spoke to just awhile ago who says that she is the "Customer Service Office Manager" that she needs 48 hours to look into this.

Last edited:
The next bit of information that we received is that there is no Customer Service Agent or Supervisor with the name that we were given of the person that we were transferred too.....Now we our told by the Lady we spoke to just awhile ago who says that she is the "Customer Service Office Manager" that she needs 48 hours to look into this.
Wow! That sounds suspiciously like the first CS rep dumped you on a sympathetic co-worker masquerading as a CS Supervisor. Hopefully the Office Manager will get this sorted out and fixed.

Definitely not the story usually heard from those dealing with Grizzly CS.

Wow! That sounds suspiciously like the first CS rep dumped you on a sympathetic co-worker masquerading as a CS Supervisor. Hopefully the Office Manager will get this sorted out and fixed.

Definitely not the story usually heard from those dealing with Grizzly CS.

That's what it looks like. What I really don't like is being told that the Tech. Department was able to run the second Mill (and being denied a chance talk to the Tech. Dept. concerning that machine) when there was a note already on my file saying that the second machine also had a defective circuit board!

^^^ truth on occasion you come across a genuine jackass impervious to being nice, then the raptor claws come out.

Yeah, because I said "that I have noticed that if one treats a person politely they often but not always will treat you in kind".

The Customer Service Manager also said "that she cannot say much about their unprofessional and deceitful Customer Service Agent that I had to deal with...other then that CS Agent is now being closely monitored".

Last edited:
Anyway after one month of receiving two different Mills with defective circuit boards and a table drive unit that would only run forward but not reverse Grizzly and I have settled this matter. The office manager at Grizzly's Customer Service just telephoned us and said that we can expect a full refund of the balance of $122.00 overt the next few days. At this point I have no reason to think that is not true. This odd mess of ordering a Mill seems to have finally been settled.

It is too bad that your first encounter with Grizzly was not a positive experience. I have been buying from them since 2004, and have four or five Grizzly machines, and have always had good experiences.

If you don't want to deal with Grizzly again, you have some other choices. The Weis BF20 style of mill is about the size of the Sieg X3 that you bought (tried to buy) from Grizzly. Most owners have reported they found the BX20 series to be superior to the X3 series in fit and finish.

Grizzly's version of this is the G0704. But you can buy one from Matt at Precision Matthews, and it is better than the Grizzly model because it has a belt drive (of course, it also costs more):

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-MV-BenchMills.html

http://www.g0704.com/index.html

You can (or used to be able to) buy this style from PenntoolCo, and maybe WTTool. Personally, I would go toward Precision Matthews.

Back