• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

My New Hardinge Cataract

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Andre

Active User
Don't mind the welder, high lift jack, and other junk. I bought this Hardinge Cataract with lever collet closer, lever cross slide, turret, and countershaft assembly today. All for $380. Cleanup begins tomorrow.

I plan to use this for rapid production of a series of parts, and it'll be perfect because that's what this one was setup to do. I need to make a few bits of tooling and I'll be all set.

Andre

Active User
https://imgur.com/8yIbRSF

I can't post a image in the usual way. A link will have to do. Not even the IMG bb code function works.

Last edited:

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I no pics went to ,,,, . The short t,s turret looks like mabey 9-10" lathe center ? . Pics used to be good to look at while typing

Andre

Active User
Thanks for posting the photo Ken, did you download it then re-uplaod it as a file? I have PC software issues now so I can't upload things as files.

I believe this lathe has 7" swing. I haven't measured it but it's what I hear from research online, and looks about right.

LucknowKen

Hi Andre: I just right click / save image / then: upload a file. (Windows Server 2003)
It is hard to gauge the size of your new machine. I was thinking a compact lathe would look great on my fireplace mantle.
Color me envious.
lk

Andre

Active User
Hi Andre: I just right click / save image / then: upload a file. (Windows Server 2003)
It is hard to gauge the size of your new machine. I was thinking a compact lathe would look great on my fireplace mantle.
Color me envious.
lk
I have a software issue, and am missing some software files. I cannot upload files normally, even using CTRL + S crashes my browser. When I use the "Upload File" button my file folder doesn't automatically open. I can only drag and drop, and that doesn't work on here sadly. I am missing a few system files, and need to reinstall Win 7 at some point.

The lathe is fairly large, 7" swing and weighs about 60 pounds with my short bed. About 20" long or so, but I never measured.

co1859

Is that what they call a cantilever bed? A little elbow grease and wax. The original classic black paint will shine like new. Classic Black paint , hand scraped metal surfaces. This thing will really standout. What a find!! congratulations Andre

Nice history link
http://www.lathes.co.uk/cataract/index.html

Last edited:

Holescreek

Active User
I'm familiar with watchmakers lathes and not any kind of expert on antique lathes at all but I've never seen or heard of a cantilever Hardinge lathe. Google images doesn't show even one. That turrett tailstock is longer than the remaining bed. Lots of nice individual piece there. There is a well known Hardinge Expert/collector in Indiana named Larry Vanice that would be the guy to ask, not sure if he's a member here or not.

Andre

Active User
I have been in contact with Larry on Practical machinist and through email. Great guy and very knowledgeable.

Nothing happened to that bed, it was never cut. It was that way from the factory, so you could have more of them in a given space for production. No need for a 3' bed if all you need is the cross slide for a production part.

A more in-depth cleanup thread can be found here: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/71488-Hardinge-Cataract-Restoration-Log

Holescreek

Active User
Interesting read. I was going to ask you if the stamping was present on the end. I wonder how they held the end up with all that weight?

Here's the stamping on the end of mine when I found it, how close are the serial numbers?

cataract010.jpg

co1859

It will be fun to identify, The good thing is once the parts are cleaned up and identified. Be worth a lot more than $380

Holescreek

Active User
I think that turrett tailstock is darn near worth what he paid for the lathe. I sold just the base from a Harding lathe milling attachment for $225 several years ago.

Andre

Active User
It does indeed have the stamp on the end. I will get you serial numbers sometime tomorrow or the next day.

Right now it's sitting on my bench, not bolted down with the headstock and cross slide in place. It's pretty balanced over that one foot, but I strip it down when I leave the shop in fear of it tipping.

The turret itself should go for over $300 alone, but it needs a bit of work to be made functional again. It needs a gib, rotating mechanism fixed, and locking fixtures for the 5/8" tool holes.

[6]
[5] [7]