My new to me Logan 8 inch shaper

B

bvd1940

Forum Guest
Register Today
Here are some pictures of my Logan 8 inch shaper I just picked up :) I have already cleaned, painted & am now repairing the items that were neglected during the shaper,s life:(
I will post some after pictures when I get done if anyone is interested;)2011-04-24_17-13-32_833b.jpg2011-04-24_17-15-04_919a.jpg2011-04-24_17-15-04_919c.jpg
Well here are some pictures after cleaning & painting:drool:shape 8 e.jpgshape 8 c.jpgshape 8 a.jpgshape 8 d.jpgshape 8 b.jpgshape 8 before bush.jpg
The toggle link was re bushed & there are before & after pics. All that's left to do is the feed linkage for the table feed & clean up the vice:biggrin:
Then its time to mace chips;)

2011-04-24_17-13-32_833b.jpg 2011-04-24_17-15-04_919a.jpg 2011-04-24_17-15-04_919c.jpg shape 8 e.jpg shape 8 a.jpg shape 8 b.jpg shape 8 before bush.jpg shape 8 c.jpg shape 8 d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice looking machine. I'll be looking forward to hearing what you needed to do to get it back in shape.

-Ron

That's a great looking machine you got their Bill.
Post more pic's of it and your projects that you make with it.

Will you trade a truckload of potatos for it? I have come upon a barrel of gears shafts pillow block bearings a pallot
of heavy walled 4" square tubing-15 feet of 1/2 thick I beam , and a 20" x20" 1" thick square steel plate all for zip.
This is the closest Ill ever get, just wait till its all painted grey..

Nice looking shaper Bill, You'll enjoy operating it.

Paul

The only real problem has been dried grease & oil & the toggle link to the ram which is not as tight as I would like so I am going to make new & one shoulder bolt that had been replaced with a crap bolt and homemade sleeve.
I will take some pics & post for clarity:biggrin:

AND NO I WONT TRADE?SELL?OR GIVE AWAY I spent way toooo loooong looking for this here machine:biggrin: you need taters??????
Should be making chips before this weekend hopfuly;)

Nice shaper, Bill. There seems to be a rising interest in the old beasts. I'm definitely keeping mine.

Nice shaper, Bill. There seems to be a rising interest in the old beasts. I'm definitely keeping mine.
The shaper fills a need with low cost tooling while simple operation IMHO;)
What tics me off is I had a chance to pick up a shaper cheap many time prior to setting up my shop now seems everyone wants one:(
One at surplus sale at Hill AFB Ogden Ut went for $2400 & it was not all there:huh:
Oh well now I have this one I probably run to a bunch of them:lmao:

A retired guy who wanted to travel could pick up a 3-ton truck, buy up all the small shapers that he could find, and drive all over North America delivering them to members. Make it a 5-ton with a generator. Wouldn't want to be away from the shop. :biggrin:

A retired guy who wanted to travel could pick up a 3-ton truck, buy up all the small shapers that he could find, and drive all over North America delivering them to members. Make it a 5-ton with a generator. Wouldn't want to be away from the shop. :biggrin:

Only downside would be fuel cost on a rig that big:drool: but would be fun to try:biggrin: I like old machines to PLAY with but new is hard to beat for use;)

Back