My Next Project - A Metal Brake

Mark, been there and done that. I've learned the hard way that one way I get around that is to make a prototype out of some cheaper material. Yes, it will take longer, but I'm able to work out all (I hope) the things that one fails to anticipate. Still, I think that your work is just amazing.

It was a stupid mistake, I made the part from memory instead of checking the print..... it was just a dumb mistake......it ain't the first one I ever made and won't be the last. I just prefer they are smaller mistakes. Oh well......

If it weren't for mistakes none of us would learn much, and occasionally something new and useful can come from them. Also the odd error here and there teaches humility and keeps us on track. I think I would go with a redo. That way you won't be haunted by it every time you use it, and I know it won't be long before you find a new use for the buggered one. Cheers, Mike

I would use the solution you've developed. You may even find that having those two special fingers adds to the flexibility.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

OK ..... I have one solution.........

View attachment 123440
I make two 1 1/2 " fingers and use them on the ends. I have a full bar. If doing a box, I still have the ability to go to 1/2" increments, and doing a box I wouldn't have a full bar anyway. Even though the 1 1/2" fingers are special, they still can be added too the end of any setup. Oh..... this setup requires two more holes which is no problem ( i think)

Or just buy a new bar :(
Hi Mark,

Like others have said, go with your solution. I have a DiAcro 24" brake that has 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2", 2", etc. fingers so nothing unusual about the sizes you have.

Bruce

Hi Mark,

Like others have said, go with your solution. I have a DiAcro 24" brake that has 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2", 2", etc. fingers so nothing unusual about the sizes you have.

Bruce

Thank you for the opinions. I slept on it as suggested and took another look at it this morning. I am going with my solution as it would be no better to correct it. The original design requires leaving the end bolt out of the finger on each end as there is no threaded hole on the end of the bar for it. On the print , the end hole is one inch from the end of the bar leaving 1 1/2" unsupported. With my solution the end hole is 1/2" from the end of the bar , leaving 1" unsupported. the original design has one special finger 1 1/2" wide and my solution has two. I can see no advantage to going back and making this over again. Soooooooo... :rolleyes:.....we will call this mistake....er... I mean.... revision......an improvement and roll with it. After all, I have changed the bar significantly anyway to make it bigger and heavier to eliminate flexing so I won't need to make that big truss for the top.

Isn't it amazing how you reason anything to be correct :grin: if you want to bad enough. Heck..... later I will make a 1 1/4" and a 1 1/8" finger and I will be able to set up within an 1/8" instead of 1/2" widths for box bends.:grin:

OK….I’m confused??? Your cad drawing just above, maybe has 23 holes?

OK….I’m confused??? Your cad drawing just above, maybe has 23 holes?
That is not CAD. I ain't smart enough to use that CAD thingy :grin:. I do my drawings with Microsoft paint. But , anyway you are correct. I will have 23 holes instead of 22 like the original design. This is why my ........uhh.....revision :grin:....... requires the two 1 1/2 " fingers on the ends. But after thinking it over, my mistake :rolleyes: I mean revision, is actually as good or better than the original design. The original had to leave the bolt out of the outside end of the fingers on the ends. It was reported there was some flexing in the 1 1/2" X 5/8" finger bar. I believe that is why the truss was added. I am hoping my changes correct this problem without the use of the truss. Clear as mud..... Right?

Back