My Next Project

I'v been working on the railroad this morning.Only took 2 hours to isolate the wires I need to make the new motor work the rest of that mess is some one elses problem unless they want to pay me time and material to fix it.Tried to start the engine but gave up when loud knock was heard on every revolution.So now all I have to do is clear monkey puzzle of brackets , wires and pipes that are in the way to lift it out. One strange thing I saw when I was under her is the drive axle has hydraulic brakes.All the ones I have worked on that big had air brakes.
Yesterday I couldn't help myself.I filled the 4 air tanks with the shop compressor. Sure got the neighbors attention ,5 train horns on the cab roof and a whistle by the stack up front.Boy howdee so loud the dogs started to join in. Got to keep them on there toes and have a little fun when you can. Pictures to follow.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
**********************Gator**********************************************

Stuff 012.jpg Stuff 013.jpg

Looks like one heck of a project, Gator! I agree on the removal of the old wiring and start over, but that can get pretty expensive in short order. I assume this thing belongs to some local organization like the VFW, American Legion, or similar?

You called it Terry it belongs to the 40 and 8 fraternal org. The name comes from the first World War.In France the rail cars could hold 40 men and 8 horses. There is rail car that goes behind the engine.********************Gator**************:blues:​*******

I am familiar with the 40 and 8 cars, but not the organization. Kudos to you for lending them a hand!

Mid Continent Railway Museum in North Freedom, Wisconsin has one of those cars, by the way. It was donated to the museum by the Wisconsin Voiture of the American Legion.

Here is a photo of it during dedication ceremonies, June 8, 1969, from the website of Mid-Continent Railway Museum.

1969a.jpg

1969a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent one hour cleaning road crud off the motor compartment. Blew it dry with air hose and wire brushed and PB blasted all the nuts and bolts I have to remove tomarrow.I'll post pictures as it comes out.******************Gator************:mechanic:

Well got the motor out it only cost me six cold adult beverages to my buddy next door for use of his fork lift.Cheap and easy didn't even have to split the motor and trans in the train.Just a small amount of 2" x 4" persuasion and out she came.Sure could have used that when I was younger.Would have posted pictures sooner but my camera died.So I called on my friend that has the custom hot rod shop to take the pics.He wound up doing double duty helping with the lift and snapping the pics. It all went smooth and that motor is now in the local NAPA machine shop for inspection and rebuild.Sure hope they didn't lunch {ruin} this motor it's a 1973 which means pre smog control and a true 425 HP.Pictures to follow.*****
*********Just Saying***************Gator**********************************

DSCF5641.JPG DSCF5646.JPG DSCF5651.JPG

Engine all torn down.Got to teach them to check the oil.Welded # 7 and 8 rod bearings together and took out crank.Good news is block is OK. Pictures to follow.
*******The Fun Never Stops***************Gator*******************************

DSCF5736 (2) (Small).JPG DSCF5737 (Small).JPG

Got all the parts back so it's time to put this old girl back together again.More pictures tomorrow.
******************G*************************

This project was delayed by my partner going to the hospital for six weeks.but I'm happy to report that he's back and we dropped the rebuilt motor back in today.Sorry to say no pictures today as we were all busy.I'll try to get some tomarrow as we put the old girl together.Sorry for the delay but life sometimes gets in the way what you got planed.
**********G**********

Back