My NOS Rohm Lathe Chuck

I suppose I should get something stronger than mineral spirits. Try to get some MEK.

Yes, mineral spirits is good to have around for light cleaning but it is not as a robust solvent as the others I mentioned. I have had good luck with this stuff (Kleen Strip Aircraft Paint Remover) and I keep the aerosol in the shop supplies. It is available in autoparts stores, some big box stores, and it doesn't harm metal.

1516981238015.png
It has methylene chloride in it plus some other solvents. I like the aerosol so you can spray it in nooks and crannies but the canned stuff is good too. You just dab it on with a brush.

Here's what's in the aerosol (the liquid version is about the same but slightly different)

1516980822987.png

Boy! That's some bad stuff! Be careful how you handle it. Preferably, use it outside, the same using MEK, too.

The ammonia in that cleaner mentioned above is also very deadly.
Try Purple Power Cleaner first. If it is LocTite, you may need some heat.

I'm cleaning up a 23 yo lathe that still had the original dried out cosmoline on most of the parts. I tried using Mineral Spirits but it would barely touch it. I read that WD40 was a better choice. It seems to do a better job, just let it soak for a few hours. I've also read that Naptha is good for removing dried out grease but I haven't tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gel formulated paint stripper has always come through for me on the really tough stuff. It requires some soaking and repeated applications for the thick stuff.

Get some MEK and see if that will melt/dissolve it off. Find some moly disulfide base grease and apply to chuck body area where the scroll move in. And put a dab or two on the scroll. That should let it turn freely. I hope that hard stuff is not some kind of Teflon/Rulon coating applied at the factory for lubrication.
This is the only moly grease I could find in my area. Is this okay or are you talking about a different type?

1517243791273411390717.jpg

Back