My PM 1440GT

I like that wheel for the spyder, I'm trying to work on a Tool Height Gage now but this ting called a job is preventing me from working on it much.

Just a little update here, the PM 5C Collet Chuck came in, with all of the recent storms going on work has been 6X10's and 6X12's so no time to play. The chuck came packaged very well, I installed the studs for the cam lock backing plate and there is sat till today. I turned the studs in to the line and put the retaining screws in. I had one that when turning the cam lock went a little to far, I pilled the chuck and that one went in another revolution. Lock up is smooth and good. I used my DTI to set the run-out (yes the PM 5C Collet Chuck is adjustable), took me a few minutes overall and the run-out with the DTI on the middle of the taper is under .0001. I did video it but it's too big and won't go to me email. I installed the 1/2 in collet (from my PM Collet set) and used a .500 end mill, with the DTI the run-out is .0002. Not to bad I think.

If anyone wants better or few more photos just holler and I'll try and get them posted.

I do have a question for the group, the spindle does not have a witness mark and I need one so I can install chucks in the same place each time, any ideas? Scribe mark. punch mark, letter stamp, sharpie, I'm not sure the sharpie would last very long.

Steve

5C Chuck.jpg

I use a # 1 punch to make a line. Use the same on any Chuck that does not have a mark. Set up looks great.

I use a # 1 punch to make a line. Use the same on any Chuck that does not have a mark. Set up looks great.

I think that's a better idea than just punching a dot like I did. Sometimes (often?) I am hunting for that punch mark, and a line would be much easier to pick up. Sometimes I'll rotate the chuck around twice before I pick up the mark. Kinda reminds me of the rule that you need to try plugging USB cables in 3 times before they fit! :grin:

Nice series. I got a 5C collet chuck when I ordered My PM1440HD 5 years ago. It is a beautiful "Run true" type. Quite a few tries using a PM collet, a .5 gage pin and a Mitutoyo DT indicator to get it dialed in. I'm happy with the results. There is no manufacturer's mark on the chuck. I use the collet chuck more often than I thought I might. My collet set is by 32nds. At the small end that makes for too large of steps. I bought a 3/4" square collet and a collet stop and both work fine. I will always use the collet chuck in preference to the 4 jaw. Faster and easier. I like how easy it is to reverse work and to hold threaded parts. I have collet blocks but they need some work. I have modified my spin indexer to reverse ends and that makes getting in close easier. I need to make a tail stock for it. I have an 8" HV rotary table but setup time is much longer than the spin indexer but it will do other things. Boy is the rabbit hole deep.

Back