My PM 835 has arrived

Good choice OP. I have an earlier version PM835, no holes or shim feet just a simple base.
To get mine off the skid I built an overhead lift from 4x4 wood legs with two 2x8 cross members. A block & tackle did the lifting.
Bring the knee full down and against the body of the mill. Lift from the eye bolt and adjust the head ram to get it to the balance point.
I did this by myself and had no problems getting it squared away. An engine lift will be iffy since you need a lot of height & reach to get to the eye. Lifting it from any point below the head ram may be a problem do to center of gravity being on the high side.

Best of luck. You need to buy a LOT of goodies to make it 100% ready for action, ask here and we'll gladly suggest how to spend your $$$.:)

Ok, so In thought about how to get the beast off the pallet and took upon the idea of using a Harbor Freight 2 ton presses. Of course the pallet is too long to get close enough to grab it. So I have built some spports out of the scrap from the packing crate and some pieces of the pallet and rammed them under the mill and I am start to cut down the pallet. I will cut the rest of it tomorrow and then hoist it up and hope for the best.

I will take pictures to show what I have done to help any one else with the same problem.

PM835 3.jpg

I had to sawzall the pallet away in chunks to get my 2T hoist around my 935. The pallet got a little shaky, but I managed to pull it off (pun intended). :)

Well, I finally got the PM 835 off the palate. It took me all weekend and I have scratches from one side of me to the other, but it's mounted and ready to go.

I had to cut down of the pallet to be able to get the Harbor freight hoist close enough. And then of course when I hoisted up the mill it tilted so far backward at the base that it kept hitting the legs of the hoist and I couldn't lower it.

So my wife took upon the idea of putting a lifting straps through the 2 holes in the base and then we connected it to a come along and hooked th other end to my truck. I cranked until it was level and then released the hydraulic Jack on the hoist, which by the way lurched forward rapidly, fortunately no harm done it's on the floor and ready to go.

PM 835 front.jpg
PM 835 side.jpg
PM 835 front.jpgPM 835 side.jpg

Congrats! Sounds pretty daunting!

I've got one coming in a week, hope it fits in my spot! What is that piece of casting at the back of the ram? Looks kinda roundish.

I have no idea what that round thing sticking out of the back of the machine is. I took a look at it, and the internal bore of it is extremely roughly casted and it looks like they tried to smooth it over with some bondo. There is no possible way it could be used for any possible bearing surfaces and I have not a clue what it’s for

I have no idea what that round thing sticking out of the back of the machine is. I took a look at it, and the internal bore of it is extremely roughly casted and it looks like they tried to smooth it over with some bondo. There is no possible way it could be used for any possible bearing surfaces and I have not a clue what it’s for
Routing for the power cord?

If you are speaking of the mounting ring at the back end of the ram, it is used on Bridgeports for mounting a slotting attachment or a cherrying attachment.

Back