My PM-835S arrived today

and there's nose when the spindle is spinning and when I'm retracting the quill at the same time
If you don't have a collet in the spindle you're probably hearing the drawbar rattling around.

Turn the spindle cam to high first. Move the belt back and forth to get the gear to drop into place with a thunk. Then move the lever to high.

Ok, I got the high gear to work now.

Now, I'm trying to figure out why my X axis get extremely tight when I reach towards the end of when the table is going left.

Maybe 4/5 of the way of when the table is going towards the left, it starts getting tight.

The gib goes into the left side of the table. I have the gib screw on the right side all the way in, which loosens and makes it a lot easier to turn, but still have the same issue when moving the table to the left. The only time I don't have this issue is when I have the gib completely out.

I notice that the gib has gouge marks on the front and on the back. I'm assuming this is for the way oil to get trapped in.

You need to dis-assemble and get the cosmoline out, then start over.

What was the resolution of the high range engagement problem?
I’m seriously considering one of these mills.

Now, I'm trying to figure out why my X axis get extremely tight when I reach towards the end of when the table is going left.

Maybe 4/5 of the way of when the table is going towards the left, it starts getting tight.

The gib goes into the left side of the table. I have the gib screw on the right side all the way in, which loosens and makes it a lot easier to turn, but still have the same issue when moving the table to the left. The only time I don't have this issue is when I have the gib completely out.

I notice that the gib has gouge marks on the front and on the back. I'm assuming this is for the way oil to get trapped in.

First thing I would do is remove the table and be sure there is nothing on the ways of the table or the saddle. Also check that the lead screw nut runs the full length of the thread without binding. Clean everything thoroughly. Run a honing stone on the gib surfaces and see that there are no burrs or lumps from the gouges you mentioned. Look for any discrepancy on the finish of the mating ways of the tight end. If so, dress them with the honing stone. Lube the ways as you reassemble. Install the gib and check that it is actually being locked between the two adjusting screws (no play left or right). If not, you'll need to address this first. Adjust the gib loosely, but defiantly locked. Traverse the table. Does it still bind on the right end? If it doesn't bind, keep adjusting the clearance out until it gets as smooth as possible over the entire travel.
Please report back what you find....it might help the next new owner.

What was the resolution of the high range engagement problem?
I’m seriously considering one of these mills.

The gear just doesn't pop in unless you turn the gear with the belts just a bit. Once it drops in you hear a thunk. Mine had some issues with the gear dropping in below freezing. Just too cold. I had to play with it a bit.

The gear just doesn't pop in unless you turn the gear with the belts just a bit. Once it drops in you hear a thunk. Mine had some issues with the gear dropping in below freezing. Just too cold. I had to play with it a bit.
I'm familiar with the operation of Bridgeport style mills.......31 years in a commercial shop. I was interested in why he was having problems.

Yeah, I just had to move the belt after turning the cam lever forward until I hear it drop before turning the lever to high gear

I guess I have to remove the table and clean up everything. There's a power feed on the right side. I hope all I have to do is remove the handle on the left, then unscrew the lead screw from the right side all the way out. I don't wanna have to take the power feed off

Yeah, I just had to move the belt after turning the cam lever forward until I hear it drop before turning the lever to high gear

I guess I have to remove the table and clean up everything. There's a power feed on the right side. I hope all I have to do is remove the handle on the left, then unscrew the lead screw from the right side all the way out. I don't wanna have to take the power feed off

Does it get tight closer to the power feed? If it does try loosening the power feed mounting screws.

Back