[4]

My PM1236

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I'm here to stay so I figured I would document a few of the mods & accessories I have for my PM1236. I got it in Nov 09 & it's been great to, no problems at all, & Matt has always taken care of me, even today. I originally purchased a PM1127-VF (no LB model at the time) but changed my mind & i'm glad I did.

(Most of these pics are copied from a thread on another forum when I got the lathe.)

Here it is when it got delivered.
Img_6353.jpg

Img_6356.jpg

Img_6459.jpg

Img_6466.jpg

Img_6464.jpg

The day I got it standing next to my mini lathe.
Img_6463.jpg

No mill at the time so great machinist friend Barry from Precision Works milled the T-slot for me. I went with a Dorian SQCTP Wedge Lock BXA.
Img_6703.jpg

Img_6708.jpg

Img_6719.jpg

Img_6753.jpg

Bison chucks on both ends. The 5/8 drill chuck I scored on ebay new for $56 shipped.
The 5" 6-jaw is from my mini-lathe.
Img_6963.jpg

Img_6953.jpg

I got a Square D 2510KG2 manual motor starter on ebay for $20.
Img_6933.jpg

Img_6926.jpg

Img_6353.jpg

Img_6356.jpg

Img_6459.jpg

Img_6466.jpg

Img_6464.jpg

Img_6463.jpg

Img_6703.jpg

Img_6708.jpg

Img_6719.jpg

Img_6753.jpg

Img_6963.jpg

Img_6953.jpg

Img_6933.jpg

Img_6926.jpg

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I got a bit tired of using a hex key for the carriage lock so like some of the larger lathes I wanted to make a lever for it.

The old method
Img_7676.jpg

After a bit of looking around I found a bolt on solution. I chose a Kipp adjustable (multi position) lever. These would probably be great for mills, after they are locked/tightened you can pull the handle up to disengage it from the splines & move it into any position to keep it out of the way. As I find more applications for these I will definitely be getting more. They come in different shapes, sizes, & materials. The stainless ones are nice but are very expensive, I choose one to match my lathe the best.

All I used aside from the Kipp lever is a small spacer so the lever doesn't come in contact with the carriage. I'll probably add a spring to it to give it some resistance when not locked down.
Img_7671.jpg

Removed the old bolt, simply screwed in the new lever.
Img_7690.jpg

Here's the lever lifted up which can be moved into 20 different positions after it has been tightened down.
Img_7693.jpg

Positioned out of the way, probably will rarely ever get in the way on the lathe.
Img_7710.jpg

Overall view
Img_7716.jpg

Probably not a common solution but like my 8x14 I decided to change the compound bolts. On the 12x36 the original studs & bolts did not strip like the 8x14 but I got used to using hex head bolts & find it much more convenient.

M10 bolts with some heavy duty washers from Mcmasters
Img_7720.jpg

Used some Grade 8 bolts that I threaded the heads then cut them off & ground down to use as the nuts.
Img_7686.jpg

So now with the carriage lock lever the old hex key still gets use for the compound. Much more easier than using a wrench.
Img_7700.jpg

For a while I have not been happy with the Mason mounts. Not the mounts' fault, my lathe is just not heavy enough. If I rocked the lathe pushing on the headstock, I can easily get the lathe starting to rock back & forth. That's not good! So I decided to make some solid mounts.

Here's how it sat before, overkill with 8 Mason mounts.
Img_1016.jpg

The materials. 5/8" threaded rod. My Mason mounts are 1/2"
Img_1048.jpg

Made four mounts with threads.
Img_1084.jpg

To make things easier & keep costs down, I threaded all the way through. To prevent the studs from threading past the bottom, I deformed the edge of the thread to create a "stop".
Img_1088.jpg

The finished mounts.
Img_1103.jpg

Installed. I'm still using four of the Mason mounts on the outside to help keep the lathe in place. With just the solid mounts, I can move the lathe if I give it a good push.
Img_1121.jpg

After I got it all leveled, I adjusted each Mason mount 1-2 thou.
Img_1139.jpg

The solid mounts made a huge difference, well worth it, & the lathe has a whole different feel to it now. Still need to make some bigger lock nuts for the base & will replace the cheap all thread.

Img_7676.jpg

Img_7671.jpg

Img_7690.jpg

Img_7693.jpg

Img_7710.jpg

Img_7716.jpg

Img_7720.jpg

Img_7686.jpg

Img_7700.jpg

Img_1016.jpg

Img_1048.jpg

Img_1084.jpg

Img_1088.jpg

Img_1103.jpg

Img_1121.jpg

Img_1139.jpg

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
After coming to my senses that I will never be able to afford the Fagor 40i that I fell in love with, I pieced together a kit & I'm pretty happy with it. It's a true lathe display so there's no useless mill functions to worry about.

Here's my install....

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

Made a back plate for support since the display is mounted to the sheet metal control box.
IMG_2032.jpg

Installed a cable grip/strain relief.
IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

Wired the display directly to the lathe's 220v power so it turns on when I power up the lathe.
IMG_2056.jpg

Scale installed on the cross slide (X axis).
IMG_2075.jpg

Was a bit tricky at first drilling & tapping for these two holes. Had to use a very long extension for the drill bit & the tap since they were so close to the ways. Luckily I didn't fubar it.
IMG_2159.jpg

Chip guard for the scale.
IMG_2156.jpg

Mounting bracket for the bed scale (Z axis). The cross slide scale also uses one of these, forgot to take pics drilling the cross slide to install it. It was done on a drill press.
IMG_2084.jpg

Bed scale mounted.
IMG_2093.jpg

Mounting bracket for the bed scale.
IMG_2108.jpg

Put the lathe partially back together to make two little spacers.
IMG_2116.jpg

Chip guard.
IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

The mounting arm for the display.
IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

Last edited:

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Wasn't too happy with the quality of the 4-jaw that came with the lathe so I replaced it with a Fuerda direct mount 8" 4-jaw. The stock 6" 3 jaw I am keeping though.

Img_0660.jpg

Img_0682.jpg

The chuck key is a safetly type key just like the Bison key but I can't stand those springs so off it came. This key fits the stock 3-jaw too but not the Bison.
Img_0673.jpg

My dog plate after I cleaned it up.
Img_0771.jpg

Img_0767.jpg
Img_4827.jpg

Img_4835.jpg

Too bad this lathe dog is so offset heavy. Makes my lathe shake at higher speeds so I got some conventional ones that work much better.
Img_4824.jpg

Img_4820.jpg

My Exair Cold Air Gun.
IMG_0909.jpg

Img_0911.jpg

Back then there were no separate packages, it was pretty much the Preferred package with chuck guard. Eventually I couldn't stand that damn guard so off it came. Man what a big difference it makes!
Img_5669.jpg

Haven't used the flood coolant system yet so I just made a bottle holder where the nozzle used to mount.
Img_0672.jpg

All that damn flex conduit that was put up really bothered me so I took it all down & replaced it with EMT.

Before:
Img_4614.jpg

Img_4618.jpg

Img_4625.jpg

After..... I installed a drop for the air compressor & later added an extension for the mill.
IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

Img_0346.jpg

Img_6066.jpg

Img_3441_800_zpsdd8ea4ab.jpg

Img_0660.jpg

Img_0682.jpg

Img_0673.jpg

Img_0771.jpg

Img_0767.jpg

Img_4827.jpg

Img_4835.jpg

Img_4824.jpg

Img_4820.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

Img_0911.jpg

Img_5669.jpg

Img_0672.jpg

Img_4614.jpg

Img_4618.jpg

Img_4625.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

Img_0346.jpg

Img_6066.jpg

Img_3441_800_zpsdd8ea4ab.jpg

Last edited:

GaryK

In Memory
Rest In Peace
Great looking job so far. It's never really done it is?

I still can't see what anyone would want with a chuck guard?

That's a big compressor, but I imagine you need it using your cold gun at full presure. I have the loudest compressor I have ever heard. I keep
it in another room with the door closed and it's still loud as hell! Thankfully I have a new one coming on Monday.
Only 60db. That's going to be a very nice change!

Gary

Last edited:

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Great looking job so far. It's never really done it is?

I still can't see what anyone would want with a chuck guard?

That's a big compressor, but I imagine you need it using your cold gun at full presure. I have the loudest compressor I have ever heard. I keep
it in another room with the door closed and it's still loud as hell! Thankfully I have a new one coming on Monday.
Only 60db. That's going to be a very nice change!

Gary
Thanks Gary. Yeah, tell me about it! People have told me but I had no idea my addiction would lead me this far & I know it only gets worse! But I look at it as a life long investment so & it keeps me happy.

I kind of liked the chuck guard at first as it was insurance to never leave the chuck key in. But I learned that lesson before I got the PM & finally one day it really started to get annoying! IMO it really serves no purpose as it really doesn't guard anything.

If you look at that last pic just above your post you can see that I also have a 17 gal tank sitting behind the lathe plumbed into the system. With 77 gallons I still want more air! But I don't think I can fit an 80 gal where the 60 sits. Maybe one day I'll upgrade to a 2-stage.

The cold air gun is air hungry! I don't run it at full recommended 90 psi. I run it at 50-60 psi & it still works well. That's my current alternative to flood coolant as I don't want that kind of mess in my garage yet. I mostly using it when drilling Ti which is often. Not nearly as great at a flood system but better than nothing. I have one for the mill too but haven't hooked it up yet.

Congrats on the new compressor! It's definitely a necessity & I can't live without one. I had a Craftsman/DevillBiss 20 gal which was pretty quiet but it couldn't keep up with my 1/2" impact & die grinders. Always had to wait for it to fill back up! Bought the 60 for $255 & sold the Craftsman for $200 so it was a nice upgrade. The 60 gal HF US General compressors are actually US made.

GaryK

In Memory
Rest In Peace
Congrats on the new compressor! It's definitely a necessity & I can't live without one. I had a Craftsman/DevillBiss 20 gal which was pretty quiet but it couldn't keep up with my 1/2" impact & die grinders. Always had to wait for it to fill back up! Bought the 60 for $255 & sold the Craftsman for $200 so it was a nice upgrade. The 60 gal HF US General compressors are actually US made.
Yea, the new compressor is only a 6.5 gal. but I don't use much air at all. It's a step down from the 14 gal. I now have. I do have a 10 gal. portable tank that I use to take out to the driveway to fill the tires
on the cars, so I can always use it for extra air storage. From the reviews I've read on the new compressor, it fills real fast. Just about a minute with the 2 cylinder compressor. I may look on craigslist for a
big tank for real cheap to give me a big surplus of air.

I just got a real inexpensive Spra-Kool Midget Mist system that I plan on using on the lathe and mill. It will work at 30psi. I don't even want to mess with the flood coolant system. I saw on another site that someone made his mister intermittent, .5 sec on 1.5 sec off. I plan on doing the same thing but make the on/off time adjustable with 2 dials. It will cut down on air and coolant use. I figure this will keep things cool and lubed.

BTW I think the only real reason for the chuck guard is to keep coolant from flying all over the place when using the flood coolant.

Gary

Ray C

Platinum
Staff member
Registered
Will... What... You got Elves keeping that thing clean for you?

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Will... What... You got Elves keeping that thing clean for you?
Nope, actually they're Smurfs! Hence the white & blue. :))

Most of this pics are from another thread when the lathe was new. But I do probably keep the lathe cleaner than most. I mostly turn Ti these days & dry, after the first lathe fire I get paranoid sometimes. Turning ferro rod can get interesting too.

EDIT:

Guess I forgot to include my radius turning attachment so I'll just insert it here (copied from another forum as well). Made this before I had a mill so I cheated by using parts from another unit.

Here's what I started off with. The Myford attachment & a 5" dia 30lb piece of CR1018.
Img_0069.jpg

Mounted in the 4 jaw, making the base plate with this piece.
Img_0129.jpg

Cut off the base plate & save the rest for another project (feet for the lathe).
Img_0192.jpg

Cleaned it up, drilled a couple of holes, & test fit.
Img_0210.jpg

Img_0215.jpg

Bored out the recesses on the top of the base plate for the tool post.
Img_0314.jpg

Bored out the bottom of the base plate for the mounting/pivot screw.
Img_0356.jpg

Base plate is done, on to make the post assy. 3" dia 1018.
Img_0247.jpg

Img_0249.jpg

Machined the steps for the bottom of the tool post.
Img_0310.jpg

Bored out the recesses on the top off the tool post for the cutter assy. Drilled a hole all the way through for a M6 bolt, then tapped threads the bottom for a M10 bolt.
Img_0401.jpg

Tool post is done, time for a test fit.
Img_0392.jpg

Tested it out on a piece of alum. Ditched the insert & screw that it came with for a TNMG 331 Cermet insert & Ti flathead/countersunk type screw for better seating. Chatter free & right on center line!
Img_0375.jpg

Here's how I measured the cutter height.
Img_0370.jpg

Here is the top mating surface for the cutter assy.
Img_0411.jpg

Turned down a M6 bolt to fit through the M10 thread at the bottom of the tool post to bolt on the cutter assy.
Img_0415.jpg

The mating surfaces of the post & base plate. Since this is where I made the tool post pivot I added some lube.
Img_0423.jpg

The bottom of the base plate. This part is critical since the washer should only mate against the small step of the post that fits through the base plate. But if that step is too high you'll get unwanted play leading to chatter.
Img_0426.jpg

Img_0428.jpg

All assembled.
Img_0437.jpg

Time to give it a try, first up was a ball knob to replace the cheapo plastic one.

Threaded a rod & a piece of steel.
Img_0444.jpg

The rod I was using to hold the stock was too thin & chattered a lot so I had to switch to a thicker one. After a little bit of sanding I ended up with this.
Img_0449.jpg

Here's the new knob on the tool post.
Img_0473.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Img_0069.jpg

Img_0129.jpg

Img_0192.jpg

Img_0210.jpg

Img_0215.jpg

Img_0314.jpg

Img_0356.jpg

Img_0247.jpg

Img_0249.jpg

Img_0310.jpg

Img_0401.jpg

Img_0392.jpg

Img_0375.jpg

Img_0370.jpg

Img_0411.jpg

Img_0415.jpg

Img_0423.jpg

Img_0426.jpg

Img_0428.jpg

Img_0437.jpg

Img_0444.jpg

Img_0449.jpg

Img_0473.jpg

Last edited:

Ray C

Platinum
Staff member
Registered
Lathe fire? Story!

Ray

Nope, actually they're Smurfs! Hence the white & blue. :))

Most of this pics are from another thread when the lathe was new. But I do probably keep the lathe cleaner than most. I mostly turn Ti these days & dry, after the first lathe fire I get paranoid sometimes. Turning ferro rod can get interesting too.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Lathe fire? Story!

Ray
I suppose lathe fire does sound extreme. It's happened to me only twice now but that's enough to remember. Not actually a fury of fire & no real damage to the lathe other than minor discoloring to the paint. Ti chips are flamable, thinner the swarf, the easier it combusts just as steel wool burns. But Ti burns very white & bright, too bright to look at!

I forget exactly how it happened the first time & I don't plan on trying to find out how to duplicate it. But I remember turning some Ti at probably too high of SFM, saw some very minor sparks but did not think anything of it. Well one of those sparks fell onto the swarf below & a pile ignited. Definitely got my attention real fast!

Second time when I was making the Ti ferro rod holders below. I've made a number of them before without an issue but one time I was facing the ferro rod which sparks very easy if the SFM is too high. Again the sparks fell on a bundle of Ti swarf on the chip pan & boom, bright white light! Ferro sparks like hell so now I flood it with lube when cutting to prevent ignition.

I wish I had a pull out chip pan, I hate when there is long stringy swarf that gets caught & creates a bird nest & is why I take the time to get rid of it when needed. But with the Ti, it's the fine stuff that scares me of igniting, not because of bird nesting.

Hasn't happened to me in a while as I learned what not to do but I always have those memories. Pros may know what they're doing to avoid stuff like this but I learn the hard way. :))

EDIT: This past weekend I had some more Ti chips ignite. If the spindle speeds are on the slow side & I feed to fast/hard I can get a familiar distrinctive sound followed by sparks flying. This time I was boring 4" in depth had had sparks fly out the bore. It was a sight to see but nothing that alarmed me. First time I had sparks shooting out of a bore thow.

Last edited:

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
These are the spindle speeds I measured using a Monarch Pocket-Tach 100, last NIST calibration in 4-2000 but it should be ok. YMMV.

I'll probably never use the high range but if I do I take the readings & post here.

PM1236_spindle_low.jpg

My thread & feed chart is different from all the other PM1236s I've seen so far. Even though the values are different on my chart I can't imagine the gears ratios to really be different so YMMV. This may not be useful & possibly the chart values can be verified by doing some math but math is not one of my good areas. The lowest measurement below would be my slowest feed rate that's not documented on my chart. My brother estimated 0.001 IPR for my slowest reading but he said there was not enough info based on my chart to get a more accurate estimation.

These readings were taken on the power feed rod at 500 RPM spindle speed & the geabox set to M1.

PM1236_gearbox.jpg

PM1236_spindle_low.jpg

PM1236_gearbox.jpg

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member

This was lost in the crash so I'm just reposting....

Thanks to a member of another forum & Gary for the reminder, I got me a 1μm scale for my cross slide too.

Easson doesn't make the size I need so I got a Sino from the guy I get my DRO stuff from in China. Better for me anyway so I won't need any additional work mounting it, simply unbolted the old scale & bolted the new one onto the mounting plate.

Not much to see since the scale doesn't look any different than my original but I'll post some pics anyway.

1μm on top.
Img_7513_zps7c06e543.jpg

Pic of the X scale mount that I missed in my DRO installation post.
Img_7520_zps7640a05b.jpg

Scale mounted.
Img_7524_zps44c88d4d.jpg

With the 5μm scales I can occasionally hit .0001" but now with the 1μm I can hit that all the time now.
Img_7553_zps8cbc1ab1.jpg

Img_7555_zps467f8f29.jpg

Img_7558_zps7c45b198.jpg

Img_7563_zpscc40497b.jpg

Img_7565_zpsfaff6749.jpg

With .0001" resolution I'm not crazy to think I can actually try to achieve that level of tolerance, especially with this lathe, but it will help make things just ever so slightly easier. :)

Last edited:

MikeWi

Active User
Registered
Since you've already done all the hard work, would you like to share the sizes of the slides you used and a source? I know I'll be doing this eventually. :))

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Since you've already done all the hard work, would you like to share the sizes of the slides you used and a source? I know I'll be doing this eventually. :))
I used 220mm KA500 & 920mm KA300 scales. My source is xiao1207 on ebay. JJ doesn't have a website up yet so you'd have to communicate with him through ebay but he has excellent communication & ships fast.

MikeWi

Active User
Registered
I used 220mm KA500 & 920mm KA300 scales. My source is xiao1207 on ebay. JJ doesn't have a website up yet so you'd have to communicate with him through ebay but he has excellent communication & ships fast.
Thanks, I already have him saved as an ebay vendor, so that works out.

Rbeckett

Silver
Rest In Peace
That is some good lookin Iron!!!!! Too clean, but the scunge will come in time. I also like the cool air gun too. Have fun and enjoy you new machine...

Bob

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I have a request for a 30" long Ti javalin/spear that I've been working on. To complete it I'll need an outboard spider so here's my take on making one.

Started out with some 2"Ø CRS.
Img_7884_zps96d73e92.jpg

Used the 4-jaw to face & center drill both ends.
Img_7893_zps974ef234.jpg

Turning between centers.
Img_7896_zps2de8f327.jpg

Crept up on targeted DOC.
Img_7912_zps74489966.jpg

Test fit, still not enough depth & also needed to tweak the major Ø.
Img_7910_zps9af4da5b.jpg

So back on the centers a few more times until I was happy with the fit. Now it screws in all the way & I'm happy with the fit.
Img_7916_zpsadbc5c57.jpg

Drilled up to my largest bit on hand, 1".
Img_7925_zps04d959d6.jpg

A Fowler electronic edge finder showed up today as I've been curious about them. At $30, cheap enough to give it a try. Have to be real careful with this solid type as the tip does not "break away". It works by contacting the metal & continuity through the mill. I may try the more expensive break away ball type tip later but they have their limitations & advantages because of the ball. Just testing it here, I still just used the good ol conventional edge finders.
Img_7932_zps52a139f1.jpg

Drilled, tapped, & chamfered four holes.
Img_7935_zps224b909e.jpg

Img_7937_zps7c3f96f1.jpg

Img_7939_zps048a6a8f.jpg

Img_7944_zps53db4b9f.jpg

Back to the bandsaw to cut off the excess
Img_7958_zpsba7b4be3.jpg

Final boring to allow 1.25" stock to fit through comfortably. My spindle bore is just over 1.53"
Img_7963_zpsc6b85c9d.jpg

The finished spider.
Img_7976_zps4a5fee88.jpg

Img_7998_zpsb5adaf49.jpg

Now I can continue on with the Ti javalin....
Img_8011_zps70d02f3d.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Img_7884_zps96d73e92.jpg

Img_7893_zps974ef234.jpg

Img_7896_zps2de8f327.jpg

Img_7912_zps74489966.jpg

Img_7910_zps9af4da5b.jpg

Img_7916_zpsadbc5c57.jpg

Img_7925_zps04d959d6.jpg

Img_7932_zps52a139f1.jpg

Img_7935_zps224b909e.jpg

Img_7937_zps7c3f96f1.jpg

Img_7939_zps048a6a8f.jpg

Img_7944_zps53db4b9f.jpg

Img_7958_zpsba7b4be3.jpg

Img_7963_zpsc6b85c9d.jpg

Img_7976_zps4a5fee88.jpg

Img_7998_zpsb5adaf49.jpg

Img_8011_zps70d02f3d.jpg

Img_7884_zps96d73e92.jpg

Img_7893_zps974ef234.jpg

Img_7896_zps2de8f327.jpg

Img_7912_zps74489966.jpg

Img_7910_zps9af4da5b.jpg

Img_7916_zpsadbc5c57.jpg

Img_7925_zps04d959d6.jpg

Img_7932_zps52a139f1.jpg

Img_7935_zps224b909e.jpg

Img_7937_zps7c3f96f1.jpg

Img_7939_zps048a6a8f.jpg

Img_7944_zps53db4b9f.jpg

Img_7958_zpsba7b4be3.jpg

Img_7963_zpsc6b85c9d.jpg

Img_7976_zps4a5fee88.jpg

Img_7998_zpsb5adaf49.jpg

Img_8011_zps70d02f3d.jpg

woodrowm

Active User
Registered
Good morning - Hey great stuff, this is one of the many things that I need to make (by chance can you post the plans) between you a GaryK you both are keeping me pretty busy.

Thanks,
Sonny

rdfoster

Active User
Registered
Looks like I have another project. Great photography! My PM1235 is supposed to arrive this afternoon. Hope I can keep it as nice and clean as yours.

Thanks for sharing:

Bob

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Thanks fellas.

Good morning - Hey great stuff, this is one of the many things that I need to make (by chance can you post the plans) between you a GaryK you both are keeping me pretty busy.

Thanks,
Sonny

Unfortunately I did not make any plans for it. It's pretty straightforward but if you need help I'll be more than happy to. As Gary mentioned in his thread, the spindle thread is 1 5/8-16 which is what I came up with too when measuring. On my spider the outside diameter matches the spindle, thread depth is .75", OAL is 2.25", & the bore is 1.30". I used M8x20 set screws cause I had extras laying around, plus I prefer to keep all fastners for the lathe & mill metric so I don't need to keep an extra set of tools nearby.

Looks like I have another project. Great photography! My PM1235 is supposed to arrive this afternoon. Hope I can keep it as nice and clean as yours.

Thanks for sharing:

Bob

Congrats! Sounds like you will be busy today!

Keeping it clean is not hard if you spend the time to clean it. But trying to prevent scratches, chips, & dents would probably drive someone crazy. The feeling sucks when you encounter that first major one because of all the money you spent & how pretty it looks but it's inevitable. Luckily the lathe is white so it doesn't look as noticeable from a distance if you're worried about it. Chips will expose the colored primer & the thick body filler chips easily in some areas.

rdfoster

Active User
Registered
Will, I noticed in your first picture the end of your work was painted red. I get leftovers from local manufacturers and some of them are painted on the end. I think it might mean how hard it is. I get some with red, blue,green, yellow and orange. Do you know what it means if anything?

Bob

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Will, I noticed in your first picture the end of your work was painted red. I get leftovers from local manufacturers and some of them are painted on the end. I think it might mean how hard it is. I get some with red, blue,green, yellow and orange. Do you know what it means if anything?

Bob
Yes, in my case, the color denotes the type of metal. I get all my metal (with the exception of Ti & Zr) from the local IMS. For round bar (& flat bar too I think), red is CR 1018, orange is CU 110, blue is AL 6061, pink is SS 303, & IIRC yellow is SS 304. BR C360 is also red but of course the diffference can easily be seen in the color of the metal as only the ends are painted.

Last edited:

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I've been wanting to make some sort of spindle work stop & I was going to make a second threaded spindle adapter for this purpose while I was making the spider. The Aloris spindle stop for the size I need is over $400. Rovi Products who are near my work offers a similar version for less than $200. Dorian also makes them but I couldn't find a price on them or anyone that sold them. If anyone is interested & has a spindle bore of 1-5/8" to just over 2", there's a seller on ebay who has a few of the Dorian sets for $160. Damn, I wish they had my size, they look nice!

Well happy birthday to me, bought myself my own birthday present. :)) MSC carries the Yuasa spindle stop for just over $200. Went to the local MSC outlet yesterday & ordered one, model SWT-105. My sales guy gave me 15% off of it. Picked it up today, way better than anything I could have made & it's simple to use. The wrench is overkill long (my guess it's the same wrench used for all their sizes). I think I may make a shorter one someday.

Img_8017_zps618eca3f.jpg

Img_8021_zps9440e149.jpg

Img_8023_zpsc0d86940.jpg

Img_8056_zps94e7af20.jpg

Img_8019_zpsa5719e4e.jpg

Img_8031_zpsc87020d7.jpg

EDIT: Might as well add when I decided to do something about that long ass handle & to fit in my tool box.

Img_8129_zps2d4d78d4.jpg

Img_8133_zpsa2da244e.jpg

Img_8134_zps6a4ace25.jpg

Img_8142_zps1184632c.jpg

Img_8144_zps5e506684.jpg

Img_8152_zpsc3dd7d52.jpg

Img_8158_zpse789bb9a.jpg

Img_8161_zps135dfcab.jpg

Img_8168_zpsf737596e.jpg

Img_8176_zps2fbf2dde.jpg

Img_8179_zps02cc0607.jpg

Img_8186_zpsf90411ec.jpg

Img_8017_zps618eca3f.jpg

Img_8021_zps9440e149.jpg

Img_8023_zpsc0d86940.jpg

Img_8056_zps94e7af20.jpg

Img_8019_zpsa5719e4e.jpg

Img_8031_zpsc87020d7.jpg

Img_8129_zps2d4d78d4.jpg

Img_8133_zpsa2da244e.jpg

Img_8134_zps6a4ace25.jpg

Img_8142_zps1184632c.jpg

Img_8144_zps5e506684.jpg

Img_8152_zpsc3dd7d52.jpg

Img_8158_zpse789bb9a.jpg

Img_8161_zps135dfcab.jpg

Img_8168_zpsf737596e.jpg

Img_8176_zps2fbf2dde.jpg

Img_8179_zps02cc0607.jpg

Img_8186_zpsf90411ec.jpg

Img_8017_zps618eca3f.jpg

Img_8021_zps9440e149.jpg

Img_8023_zpsc0d86940.jpg

Img_8056_zps94e7af20.jpg

Img_8019_zpsa5719e4e.jpg

Img_8031_zpsc87020d7.jpg

Img_8129_zps2d4d78d4.jpg

Img_8133_zpsa2da244e.jpg

Img_8134_zps6a4ace25.jpg

Img_8142_zps1184632c.jpg

Img_8144_zps5e506684.jpg

Img_8152_zpsc3dd7d52.jpg

Img_8158_zpse789bb9a.jpg

Img_8161_zps135dfcab.jpg

Img_8168_zpsf737596e.jpg

Img_8176_zps2fbf2dde.jpg

Img_8179_zps02cc0607.jpg

Img_8186_zpsf90411ec.jpg

Ray C

Platinum
Staff member
Registered
I think it might depend on the supplier. I just picked-up a few hundred pounds of various diameter 1045 and some is painted red and some is green. It's all hot-rolled 1045 -just different diameters.

Ray

Bob

Maglin

Active User
Registered
Thank you for the DRO info and xiao1207 as an Ebay seller. I just ordered the SINPO kit for my 1236. I see pics of how clean yours is and it just makes me jealous. I need to spend some time with some Kerosene and some rags to really get mine all cleaned up. I don't know if the SINO is any better or worse than the SINPO. There wasn't any information on the scales so I asked the seller. Looking for something decent at around $400.

Maglin

Active User
Registered
DarkZero what are those lights you have on your lathe? I really like the way they look and appear to function. I want to get me a set of those. My DRO came in yesterday and I started the install last night. I had to get a 950mm Z scale as they where out of the 920mm scales. I hope to have it completely setup by tomorrow night. Heck I might even get the flood coolant working as I've never gotten around to hooking it up.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
DarkZero what are those lights you have on your lathe? I really like the way they look and appear to function. I want to get me a set of those.
Don't know the brand name if they even have one. The one on the carriage I got from Grizzly which they don't carry anymore, 24V but 50W as opposed to the stock 25W. China stuff. They used to be on ebay but not anymore (I wanted to get a couple more for something else). There's different ones on ebay though. Some of the larger Grizzly lathes come with them & you might be able to get one as a replacement part, last I looked they were much more expensive than what I paid for it.

The one mounted on the control panel was from 800Watt on ebay but occasionally they do still pop up on ebay from different sellers. That one is 110v & 50W also, same lamp head. The magnetic base that comes with it is small & doesn't hold it's weight so I replaced the base with the largest one Mcmaster carries. I also bought a bunch of replacement bulbs from 800watt for cheap so I'm set for a long time (haven't had to change a bulb yet though).

Thanks for bumping this thread, I had forgotten how nice my lathe looked when it was brand new & scratch free. Probably still better looking than any of all your guys' though. :p

Maglin

Active User
Registered
Thanks for bumping this thread, I had forgotten how nice my lathe looked when it was brand new & scratch free. Probably still better looking than any of all your guys' though. :p
LoL. That is correct for me at least. I have oil that is stained on the back splash and bed that I just can't get to come clean. I've given up on making it look as clean as yours does in those pics but it definitely looks better today than it did a few days ago. I'm going in search of those lights now thank you.

[5] [7]