My poor old BD920n

Wowww... the Grizzly spare parts are INSANELY less expensive than the JET. There are some parts there that would make life a lot easier, I may have to buy in the near future.

Wowww... the Grizzly spare parts are INSANELY less expensive than the JET. There are some parts there that would make life a lot easier, I may have to buy in the near future.
And for exactly the same parts. All the 9x20’s are basically made in the same place, just different tags and color.

Food for thought: My machine is a Grizzly G-1550. The current Grizzly offering is a G-4000. The older Jets and Grizzly spindles are threaded 1-1/2X8. The newer Grizzly, G-4000, is threaded M39X4. The older part is no longer available from Grizzly. Such a part might fit, and work, well enough. But the spindle nose will require some retooling. Something to keep in mind when looking at prices. The difference is my G-1550, and likely your Jet, was made in Taiwan, the G-4000 was(is) made in mainland China. You might be better off to go to Jet for parts.

I cannot comment on any spindle problems. It possibly is warped, possibly something else. I would advise trying "Rollie's Dad's Method" to dial in the machine. If that method shows the spindle warped, then the spindle needs replacing. But "Rollie's Dad's Method" is inexpensive, just time consuming. About the only cost is a few fasteners and a roll of aluminium foil for shims.

Ok, sorry for the long time since an update.. I recently got the spindle problem fixed! I think that when the machine fell on its face, the spindle/backplate interface got bent. I was able to correct this by facing off the entire chuck backplate and re-creating the chuck interface. I can now get VERY good consistency, under a thou - if I spend the time to get the part tapped in, in the 3-jaw that I currently have. While doing this, my cross-slide nut broke, so I went and got some Grizzly.com parts.. I replaced the nut, the lead screw(it was bent), and the bracket(broken, and had cobbled something together).. it all fit perfectly, though the nut WAS different enough to be concerning upon inspection... all at a fraction of the JET prices, too.. so that's a great tip!

Other things I have completed:
Putting fresh bearings on the spindle and pressing them on.
"Quick and dirty" headstock alignment, using a shim to just align it to the ways.
Rebuild of the cross-slide assembly and replacement of broken and improvised parts.
I was able to purchase a little HiTorque Mini Mill off of LittleMachineShop.

Anyway, I was able to solve the problem I couldn't get past thanks to the help here, so THANK YOU everybody, your help and advice have been invaluable!

cheap way to remove lathe bed twist . using 2 4ft straight edge pieces clamp one close to the headstock and the other at the end of the bed. using a carpenter level across the ends about 4 ft. from the lathe. level the bed with shims. turn the level end for end and make sure it reads the same. the level or not projected 4 ft from the lathe is greatly magnified. leveled this way should get things very level. check tail stock alignment with a solid center . if its good turn a 12 in. bar using the center and check for taper. if there is none big smile and jump for joy.

Back