My Precision Mathews PM935TV Arrival/Setup

Haha - racer types can certainly tell a soft hit from a hard hit.

>People might feel peer pressure to clean up their shop too. In middle school we were taught that peer pressure is bad.
Has no effect on me. Mine sure looks clean in the pics - up close, it needs some moppin'. Told my wife last night it was time for a systematic attack on all idle residents of the bench tops. Except that stack of Hot Rods from 1970 by the file cabinet...

I wonder how that PM machine compares with the Turn Pro level of mill offered at Enco.

Haha - racer types can certainly tell a soft hit from a hard hit.

>People might feel peer pressure to clean up their shop too. In middle school we were taught that peer pressure is bad.
Has no effect on me. Mine sure looks clean in the pics - up close, it needs some moppin'. Told my wife last night it was time for a systematic attack on all idle residents of the bench tops. Except that stack of Hot Rods from 1970 by the file cabinet...

I wonder how that PM machine compares with the Turn Pro level of mill offered at Enco.

I wondered the same thing about the Turn Pro line as they state they are of Taiwanese origin. All I can say for certain is that this mill is leaps and bounds above the Enco BP clone at work but it is about 15 years old and gets abused by 15 maintenance mechanics, not machinists. But even remembering back to when it was new it wasn't this nice.

I think it is nicer than my buddies Jet JVM836 as well. He stopped by last night and didn't say too awfully much other than "its nice". I could tell there was more but he wasn't saying and I didn't push the issue. He is happy with his and I am happy with mine, that is all that really matters. He did mention that he wished the head nodded and that he had a bit more Y-axis travel. I asked him if he felt like he ever needed more table size and he didn't recall ever needing much more so that made me happy. He seems to work on similar sized items that I do.

Yes I would shy from the base Enco. Actually did that as the choice was a mill or a lathe. Decided the lathe was the best bet for now and to wait and get a better grade mill. The Turn-Pro and the PM have very similar specs. And it'd be hard to turn away from a 30% discount if it comes. Makes the Turn-Pro $5K. I do like that the PM 949v seems to have have box ways. You could -theoretically- bore a block on that and do reasonable.

Last edited:
Very nice Mike. Never had a shop like that when I used to race bikes... :(

Question if I may? Is that a 5" or 6" vise on the mill?

Thanks,
Bill

Matt sent me a replacement handle for my RPM dial and it came in the mail yesterday. So I was able to install it which makes adjusting the RPM much, much nicer.
30xa3h3.jpg

The only thing that I am not pleased with on the mill is the small handles for the quill lock, X-axis and Y-axis gibs. I am sure they work perfectly and they are nice looking, however, they are a bit on the small side for my liking. You don't have to really crank down on them, but I personally just like a bit larger handle to lock the quill and the axis with.

I ordered a few replacement handles from McMaster Carr by size specifications and they showed up yesterday as well.

Here is the OEM quill handle (silver) and the one I replaced it with. The OEM handle was barely 2" from end to end whereas the replacement (black) was 2.750" in length and seemed a bit beefier by feel. Again, nothing wrong with the OEM ones, just a personal preference.
r9pchi.jpg

Y-axis handle. One on the left side of the knee.
34rwwg9.jpg

X-axis locking handle, there are two on the front of the table.
qzlpoo.jpg

All these larger handles take is a little bump with the hand and they are locked. No need to apply much pressure. I just prefer the looks and feel of the little larger handles.

30xa3h3.jpg

r9pchi.jpg

34rwwg9.jpg

qzlpoo.jpg

Got part numbers? I might need a few MMC items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2 - I can see some immediate applications on my 12x36. My little off brand 4" vice is pretty good, but when I step up the mill I'd love to have a couple of Glacerns. Veeery nice parts.

Ryan, the part #for the quill handle is 6271K24 (1 req.) and the part # 6271K21 (3 req.) for the X and Y axis gib locks.

These are all McMaster Carr part #'s.

Thanks, dude. Not sure I'll bother with replacements, but I have indeed considered stock units to be a bit small compared to the Bridgeports I've operated at the local maker school I've attended.

Back