My round column RF30 mill to CNC conversion, the cheap way

Could you use your mill during the build. Or would you suggest having another mill if work needs to be done and keep it off to the side as a project?

I guess that depends on how you're doing the build. Are you converting a RF30/clone using Paul's kit like I did? If so, the down time is minimal and no need to make any parts on the mill. That and the cost was the biggest reason I went with Paul's kit. Now, I had to tweak a few things due to me ordering the wrong size and a couple of other self-inflicted issues. However, if you order the correct parts you just remove the handles and bolt on the motors (10-15 mins per axis). If you're doing your own electronics as opposed to getting those from Paul too then that might take a little more time but if that's the case I'd do those first, then bolt on the mechanical parts. If you get the whole kit from Paul I'm sure it can all be done in a day (or worse case one weekend) with a little planning ahead (more on the controller/electronics/PC side).

Your Experience sums it up! Been looking at Pauls kit for some time. Thanks for posting this thread!

stoic Question, How are you keeping the head in line if you have to raise/lower it. That has been one of things I was wandering about. I have a RF30, It seems like shallow stuff is ok, But if I was to work on something requiring more depth, or longer tooling could be a problem.

If you set up a dial indicator on a magnetic base, zeroed while touching the quill you can crank the head up or down, extend the quill as needed and then nudge the head from side to side until its zeroed again. That should have you lined up and back in business.

Back